Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
A new diver should not even get near those boundaries. By the time he does, checking air and DC should be normal parctice.

I think, what can easily happen to a new diver is not related to diving beyond boundaries: absorbed in some task like deploying a SMB, especially in a dry suit, he could miss the fact that he is ascending too fast. An audible alarm can be salutary, indeed. IMHO it is better to have an option to turn off alarms in your computer if you wished rather than not to have an option to turn them on.

For anyone who is that fussed about ascent alarms MARA: Miniature Ascent Rate Alarm

I am with Storker. Wen I bought my Veo 2.0 the alarms were left on. I never heard them between the hood and my hearing. There was a depth alarm set for 100', I never bothered to change it. After a dive to 110' my son asked me what the annoying alarm was for. I had not heard it, but I did see the flashing when I checked my depth. I turned all the audible alarms off after that.

When I bought my Petrel this last summer, that was a feature It did not even occur to me to look for

Some people will find alarm clock absolutely useless to wake them up. But some will jump up within couple of sec when the alarm ring.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2015 at 09:58 AM ----------

IMHO it is better to have an option to turn off alarms in your computer if you wished rather than not to have an option to turn them on.
Agree.

My first dive computer, entry level veo 100 had no alarms so I never developed a dependency on them. Next computer had alarms that did not have an off option. Hated that. Thankfully my third computer, a Petrel, has no (edit: audible) alarms. Thanks Lynn.

Last edited:
Just a quick clarification. Predators and Petrels have always had visual alarms but not audible alarms. We use colours to warn the diver that the computer is in a state she should be aware of (Yellow for caution) and Red for critical warnings that the diver must do something about in order to safely continue the dive. We believe that divers need to regularly monitor their dive computers. A change in font colour from white or green to yellow or red is really noticeable and catches the eye.

regards Lynn Partridge

Just a quick clarification. Predators and Petrels have always had visual alarms but not audible alarms. We use colours to warn the diver that the computer is in a state she should be aware of (Yellow for caution) and Red for critical warnings that the diver must do something about in order to safely continue the dive. We believe that divers need to regularly monitor their dive computers. A change in font colour from white or green to yellow or red is really noticeable and catches the eye.

regards Lynn Partridge
It's a sick computer from what I can tell so far! Awesome job.

it also has a timer. you can see 15 second segments in the dive time function, and with v29 you have an actual timer available on the front screen. The visual alarms certainly do grab your attention even if it's in the peripheral. Everything is nice and relaxed colors and all of a sudden the background color goes yellow or red and starts flashing at you going "hey, hey you, moron, pay attention to me damn!t!!!"

it also has a timer. you can see 15 second segments in the dive time function, and with v29 you have an actual timer available on the front screen. The visual alarms certainly do grab your attention even if it's in the peripheral. Everything is nice and relaxed colors and all of a sudden the background color goes yellow or red and starts flashing at you going "hey, hey you, moron, pay attention to me damn!t!!!"

In OCRec mode, time is nicely displayed in Minutes and Seconds. Not so in OCTec. The overall layout and data presentation of OCRec is so much better than OCTec. Shearwater should allow OCTec users to have the same display as found in OCRec but with the tech features like choosing the last stop, changing GFHi, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom