Petrel or Galileo SOL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferraris are expensive, high strung and finicky. VWs are inexpensive, reliable, and simple to repair. Right?

Not that this really has anything to do with dive computers

Certianly not galileo or petrel. Neither of those are inexpensive.

yellow

Wait a second.... What color is the 458?

---------- Post added May 16th, 2014 at 10:23 AM ----------

Ferraris are expensive, high strung and finicky. VWs are inexpensive, reliable, and simple to repair. Right?

Not that this really has anything to do with dive computers

Ferraris are expensive (true), high strung (no, they are setup to be agile, responsive and balanced) and finicky (you lost me there, what's finicky? your banker? :D)

Petrel hands down, it's the sexiest computer I've ever used.

Pervert!! ... but true :D

I own neither, although my wife has a Predator. In our club many own Sols and Petrels/Predators (essentially the same). Since Scubapro took over Uwatec and produced the Sol and variants, their price, quality and vision went south. The Petrels/Predator are quality product with great support. By the way, I use a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N and it is brilliant, as good as my wife's Predator.

There isn't a lot of love stateside for HW....mostly because they're expensive to get here and there's ZERO local support. We'd have to ship computers across continents to get them looked at. The other reason is that, compared to ones that are here and available, they're not worth getting for all the hassle.

I actually am thinking about selling my Galileo Sol and a Petrel is on my list to look at. I really, really like my Sol. Transmitter, heart monitor....it is a good solid computer with lots of data AND capability. Mind you, I dive with a backup analog compass and analog SPG.
I'm getting rid of the Sol for a reason that is painful to admit. As I get older it is harder to see. Hence, I am thinking about an OLED computer (or bigger face with higher contrast). The Sol is a great computer and has served well for about 300 dives. A new computer is less expensive for me than corrective laser eye surgery!

Back
Top Bottom