PFO Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Did you mention the cost of this procedure...ball park?

I have not received a hospital bill yet, but I did just receive the insurance letter detailing what I will be responsible for. The procedure itself and the hopsital stay was about $18,000 when it is all added up. I will be responsible for around $2000.

At least it looks that way at this time.

Karen

Hi,

I have been cleared to return to deep water 6 months post PFO procedure. Although this thread started a few months back, I am posting anyway. Mainly because when I was doing research for myself, I couldn't determine when other's having this procedure actually returned to diving.

I did a two dives to 192ft a few weeks ago with no skin bends issues....and no issues at all. So far so good.

Also, my out of pocket cost ended up around $400. Unless, I get another bill anytime soon, that is what it ended up costing me.

I have been happy with my decision to close the PFO.

Karen

Happy to hear that your diving again! :jump:
Lots more people have a PFO than I would have thought. Your story may help other divers to get tested for one, especially if you have some of the symptoms ... and may even save their lives ...

My friend just had the procedure to close her PFO ... remarkable operation, she was home the next day .. she has some more rehab from the very severe, life threatening accident that was caused by it before she will be ready to get back in the water, but ... :)

So glad that your OK and diving again
take care
DB

Thanks for the follow up. It is very useful. I wish more folks would do it.

I'm glad you obtained such good results.

Glad to hear you're back diving again. Cogratulations!

Actually I'm currently in the Caribbean diving with a prominent member of the diving industry who had her PFO closed a few months ago and just had a follow-up TEE right before the trip showing no shunt. We've been doing >200 fsw profiles and she's doing great as well!

debersole:
. We've been doing >200 fsw profiles and she's doing great as well!
Doug, one question comes to mind. Karen imposed a 200 ft limit on herself and you mention 200ft in this post. Is there any reason a 200ft dive for 20 minutes is any riskier than say a 100ft dive for 60 minutes from a PFO perspective? I am guessing not but I may have missed something.

wedivebc:
Doug, one question comes to mind. Karen imposed a 200 ft limit on herself and you mention 200ft in this post. Is there any reason a 200ft dive for 20 minutes is any riskier than say a 100ft dive for 60 minutes from a PFO perspective? I am guessing not but I may have missed something.

I imposed a 100ft level on myself , post PFO until I was cleared to return to deep water. Last month another echo cardio doppler test showed the PFO was closed. Previously this test clearly showed a PFO.

My recent 192 ft depth dives were just because that happened to be where the bottom was.... I did plan those dives to 200ft though because it had been 6 months since I had done a deep dive. And I didn't want to jump back into the 260 -280ft range yet.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom