Phi Phi Island Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtheiss

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to a wedding in Phi Phi Island towards the end of November / beginning of December. Our friends (the couple) are staying at the Cabana Hotel in Tonsai Bay. If anyone has a recommendation for a good dive shop in that area I would appreciate the referral. Also, if you have a recommendation for budget accomodations that would be welcome too. We need simple, clean, and preferably our own bathroom. Thanks!

Mike

Hey there Mike,

I live and work on Phi Phi, so I can give a bit of advice for you. As for accommodations, you can get a decent fan room for about 400 baht and an AC room for 800 a night. Of course, if you want to go luxury then things can get more expensive. Best bet is to do a bit of walking and looking for rooms once you're off the ferry, since many hotels here don't have any sort of internet presence. Always ask to see the room first, so you know what you're going to get. November and December are high season, so rates tend to go up as well.

As for diving, I'm not going to promote my own shop or anything. I'll let you know that there is a price agreement on the island, so no one shop will be cheaper then the other. There is a scuba shop about every 20 feet here as well. My advice when choosing a shop is to ask to see their equipment, ask about their boat (you'll notice a few pretty poor diving boats parked in the port), and ask about their guides/instructors. Another factor would be where they actually dive at. Some shops take the easy route and dive the same closest sites every day so they can get back early. I would recommend an operation that is willing to go anywhere. My personal local favorites are Bida Nok and Hin Bida (sometimes called Phi Phi Shark Point). During that time of year you can also grab a speed boat out to Hin Daeng which is a great dive site with chances of Mantas and Whale Sharks. That trip is much pricier, obviously.

Anyways, hope this helps and hope you have a great trip! Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Princess Divers is one of the few serious dive operations on Phi Phi, high end boat, new aqualung equipment, not pushy when selling, nice philosophy overall, my Instructor was great, patient and enthusiastic, Manu was his name, ask for him if he is still around
cheers

I thoroughly enjoyed my two weeks on Phi Phi although it was in 2001, before the devastating tsunami hit the island. Therefore I'm not up-to-speed on what dive shops are still there (or new ones added since). The suggestion to check rental equipment is a very good one... it says a lot about an operation IMHO. I had no problems with the rental equipment I used there but did have serious issues with some in other locations in Thailand. Have a fantastic time there!

Back
Top Bottom