Philippine diving in Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vikram14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Me and a buddy are planning on diving in Philippines in August. I have been to PG in Feb 2016 - the diving was great though the water was cold! While I wouldn't mind going back to PG (we couldn't do Verde due to weather conditions), we are looking at other destinations and wanted to know which places would be suitable in mid August.

Both of us are AOW but we haven't had a lot of diving experience. So we are looking at colourful reefs and great aquatic life. We also don't want very long travel itineraries - that said currently we are considering either Malapascua or Moalboal or both!

Vik

I think Jun-Oct is typhoon season or plenty of rains. Unless you are travelling on work I wouldn't recommend going to a holiday destination in rainy season. Try Indonesia which has dry season in August -October. That said, for a beginner Dauin and Apo Isle looks like a good choice for the PP.

P

Rainy season is highly misunderstood here and you can have amazing conditions in August, and less divers. So always worth a shot.

If you want shorter trips then Moalboal wins over Malapascua. try looking at QuoVadisResort.com

Jun - Nov is indeed the typhoon season but it has never stop me from going to Philippines over the last 21yrs.
Malapascua: thresher shark
Moalboal: school of sardines
It is a long journey between these two places(6-7hrs).
Moalboal is relatively easy to get to from Cebu City even by public bus. While Malapascua takes a wee bit longer and there is stretch of water to cross.
Private transfer to Malapascua is on the expensive side.
This is my suggestion:
1. Contact various resorts in both places regarding accommodation and diving rate. Don't pay any deposit or make any reservation because Aug is LOW season.
2. Turn up at Cebu and then decide north or south.
3. The ferry crossing to Malapascua is your main concern if you arrive at Maya late in the afternoon. Seek advice from the resort at Malapascua.
4. Malapascua: Evolution
Moalboal: Ocean Safari Philippines and stay at Eve's Kiosk.

Moalboal is much more than just the school of sardines. Pescador Island is amazing and turtles everywhere. I have been 3 times and always dived with Savedra. Great operation, can shore dive the sardines a few steps from the dive shop and have well priced rooms overlooking the water.

Thanks everyone for the info! We are still working on the logistics of the whole trip but looking forward. Is staying in Cebu City for a day worth it? Just wondering because of the numerous flights, rides, etc....

Cebu City can be pretty nice IF you know where to go, for example I love Banilad area. My hotel recommendation there would be Henry Hotel (The Henry Hotel), the service is great and the bed is comfy. The breakfast is a bit hit-an-miss, but there's a great little French style bistro, Tymad Bistro, just couple of minutes walk away from the hotel where you can get excellent coffee and pastries. And for proper breakfast/brunch/lunch I'll always go to Abaca Baking Company (The Abaca Group | Abaca Baking Company), their food is to die for, and there's conveniently one in Banilad too. The same branch has also great restaurants for dinner, my favorite is their Middle-Eastern style Beqaa.

But Centrals is partly correct, some of the Cebu city is definitely not that inviting, and before I started to know the city a bit my experiences were not that great either... :)

Cebu City can be pretty nice IF you know where to go, for example I love Banilad area. My hotel recommendation there would be Henry Hotel (The Henry Hotel), the service is great and the bed is comfy. The breakfast is a bit hit-an-miss, but there's a great little French style bistro, Tymad Bistro, just couple of minutes walk away from the hotel where you can get excellent coffee and pastries. And for proper breakfast/brunch/lunch I'll always go to Abaca Baking Company (The Abaca Group | Abaca Baking Company), their food is to die for, and there's conveniently one in Banilad too. The same branch has also great restaurants for dinner, my favorite is their Middle-Eastern style Beqaa.

But Centrals is partly correct, some of the Cebu city is definitely not that inviting, and before I started to know the city a bit my experiences were not that great either... :)
French style, Middle-Eastern style!!! What is wrong with the authentic local food!!!!! And you didn't even mention "pochero"!
Any visitors come to HK, the only food that I will recommend is LOCAL.Foreign food will never get mention whatsoever.

Where would you recommend tourist to visit in Cebu City because none of the places that I had been really interested me?

Last edited:
august can be a great time to be here, but no guarantees. it might rain a lot more than you'd like, but chances are it will not. the great bake is over, and days are not usually uncomfortably hot. water temp is in the high 20s right now (s. leyte) - at depth. (we r also getting some big fish - eagle rays, giant manta, and whale sharks showing up at the dive sites. just don't count on it.)
if you liked what you saw in pg, and are hesitant to return because of the water temp you experienced in february, don't be. it is perfectly comfortable right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom