Philippines Cebu Typhon Mangkhut 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sipadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
200 - 499
My old friend asked me to go with him to Cebu Philippines - in early October 2018. 5 - 10th to dive.

Because it was 2am in the morning, I agreed to it and quickly bought the ticket.

Next day, my family is wondering if I've gone off the deep end again because its Typhoon season. And there is a Typhoon Mangkhut going to smash into the region.

I tried to cancel my flight but I bought the no-refund cheaper option... duh. I was prepared to get a travel voucher in lieu but no luck.

Just wondering whether I should cancel the trip. Is it safe to go. The Typhoon Mangkhut will likely impact the Philippines in Sept. So by October it should be ok?

Will the visibility be ok or absolute crap?

The current typhoon will be long gone by the time you get to the Philippines.

If conditions make flying in unsafe, the airline should be willing to give a full refund.

Personally, I'd go.

Oct 5-10 is a ways away. I wouldn’t worry. Should your destination become closed or uninhabitable, etc., your travel insurance or credit card benefits should cover a cancellation or interruption to your trip. This is also why I highly recommend folks have some coverage. This is usually only covered if you had the policy and/or or bought the ticket before it was a named storm or threat.

Can the typhoon return in October?

What I mean is - will typhoon conditions replicate themselves so quickly - a month - after a major event?

Philippines seems to be regularly hit by typhoons. 8 - 9 a year?

Can the typhoon return in October?

Not the same typhoon.

Personally I've dived the Philippines several times in October and November. The vis and water temps are going to be a lot better than Port Philip Bay :wink:

Not the same typhoon.

Personally I've dived the Philippines several times in October and November. The vis and water temps are going to be a lot better than Port Philip Bay :wink:

Thanks mate! I really lol-ed over the PPB claim.

I tried diving in PPB but man, I can't stand the cold in the water and I'd rather save the money and dive in Bunaken or Raja Ampat or Layang Layang.

Looks like the Typhoon will be north of Manila and most dive areas will escape it's path. It could dump a lot of rain around though on the outskirts of its path, but Cebu is well out of the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom