Philippines Puerto Galera island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to Sabang a week later. How easy is it to just arrive a day before and find the best dive shop? And is it equally convenient to stay at a local hotel instead of a dive resort? I am not sure about the guest-friendly policy (evening entertainment, nightlife) of these dive resorts so I am considering a regular hotel. I dont want to go against the decorum and serious diving culture of the place.

Another question is are there any challenging dives around like drift and current ? Can't get too lazy just having easy dives. Need to experience how to mange the more difficult conditions a little regularly.

--Pearlman

Last edited:
I am going to Sabang a week later. How easy is it to just arrive a day before and find the best dive shop? And is it equally convenient to stay at a local hotel instead of a dive resort? I am not sure about the guest-friendly policy (evening entertainment, nightlife) of these dive resorts so I am considering a regular hotel. I dont want to go against the decorum and serious diving culture of the place.

Another question is are there any challenging dives around like drift and current ? Can't get too lazy just having easy dives. Need to experience how to mange the more difficult conditions a little regularly.

--Pearlman
Pretty much what I always do is just show up. there are several dive ops not connected to "resorts". You could just walk around and check out a few places. Plus there are lots of hotels, and smaller cottages to stay at in every price range.

I just got back last week. I dove with South Sea Divers. They helped me find a cheap place to stay, which I found to be quite nice. It's called Reynaldo's. I'm a no frills kind of traveler though. They are also a good dive shop. Ola, one of the DMs there finds so much small stuff that you'll start to think he has an extra set of eyes. I would recommend them highly.

Yeah, the current picks up from time to time. We did several drift dives. I didn't find the conditions difficult otherwise.

--Pearlman

The "Washing Machine" over at Verde Island might be challenging for you, recommend that you don't bring a camera though with the exception of a GoPro

Although given your current experience <50 dives maybe not!

Thanks guys. I guess I will just book a hotel and shop around the day before for whos pemosing the most exciting dives in the following two days.

@SearCaigh - Whats so dangerous about the washing machine thats not recommended for a noob with just 48 dives?

--Pearlman

Just back from Anilao and Sabang (and editing nearly 200 GB of raw video footage from my 60 dives in the PI). Should be no problem finding a walk-in dive shop and accommodations as it is slow season there. I went with Action Divers and was very satisfied. Stayed at Banana Moon... a very basic accommodation but with a nice view of the Verde Island and Passage from my deck. The cost for my single room was $20 US and that included an $8 breakfast each morning at Full Moon (the only meal I ate each day).

One word of advice... DON'T TAKE TRAVELER'S CHECKS. No one would cash them and I was almost stranded there with no available funds to pay my bills (but a nice lady to spend the time with). I was VERY fortunate in that a couple from Singapore loaned me the cash to pay up my bills and I repaid them in Manila a few days later. VISA seems to be preferred over MasterCard.

That's scary..but wait all the dive shops accept cards right? And hotels?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Sent from my GT-N7000
Cash is king. bring lots of Pesos.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

Just back from Anilao and Sabang (and editing nearly 200 GB of raw video footage from my 60 dives in the PI). Should be no problem finding a walk-in dive shop and accommodations as it is slow season there. I went with Action Divers and was very satisfied. Stayed at Banana Moon... a very basic accommodation but with a nice view of the Verde Island and Passage from my deck. The cost for my single room was $20 US and that included an $8 breakfast each morning at Full Moon (the only meal I ate each day).

One word of advice... DON'T TAKE TRAVELER'S CHECKS. No one would cash them and I was almost stranded there with no available funds to pay my bills (but a nice lady to spend the time with). I was VERY fortunate in that a couple from Singapore loaned me the cash to pay up my bills and I repaid them in Manila a few days later. VISA seems to be preferred over MasterCard.
Glad you are back Dr. Bill. Funny banana Moon is where I always stay, up on the fourth level, great view, and close to your dive shop, and full moon for eats and a nice happy hour from 5p-10p. Your got a good price on the room.

Sent from my GT-N7000

The answer is NO, NO and NO. I Gather there are a few dive shops that accept credit cards, possibly with a surcharge, so definitely check ahead. If you have a credit card (preferably VISA in Sabang from what I heard) with a PIN you can get cash advances. I had no PIN on my MasterCard as I never use ATMS here in the States. I guess that will be changing on my next trip.

Cash it is then... anyone knows if citibank charges a withdrawal fee for overseas debit cards in the Phil? And its it possible to use a citibank card in an hsbc ATM? I hear they don't charge...
When I went diving in Thailand I found it very convenient to use an ATM rather than encash TC's

Sent from my GT-N7000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom