Philippines Puerto Galera island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's one of my only complaints of the Philippines and some of the dive areas. You are always taught when you are traveling, not too carry a lot of cash. In the Philippines you have little choice.
I have found one way around it. There are Western Unions everywhere. If I can find an internet connection I go online and send money with western union to my wife who travels with me. Then we go to Western Union and pick it up. This is expensive though and I have had a few places refuse to give us more than 10,000 pesos at a time, but over all it has worked well if there are no ATMs.

Just back from Anilao and Sabang (and editing nearly 200 GB of raw video footage from my 60 dives in the PI). Should be no problem finding a walk-in dive shop and accommodations as it is slow season there. I went with Action Divers and was very satisfied. Stayed at Banana Moon... a very basic accommodation but with a nice view of the Verde Island and Passage from my deck. The cost for my single room was $20 US and that included an $8 breakfast each morning at Full Moon (the only meal I ate each day).

One word of advice... DON'T TAKE TRAVELER'S CHECKS. No one would cash them and I was almost stranded there with no available funds to pay my bills (but a nice lady to spend the time with). I was VERY fortunate in that a couple from Singapore loaned me the cash to pay up my bills and I repaid them in Manila a few days later. VISA seems to be preferred over MasterCard.

Hi Dr. Bill.
Your room seems cheap, does come with A/C and TV ? I get my room at Sheche and i'm charged P 1500/room for 3 pax. with AC TV and kitchen.

Before you commit to the resort mentioned in Sabang, talk to Mark at Seariderdivingcenter at Small laguna next to Asia. You might be in for a bit of a surprise with his rates and personalized attention. I always have a minimum 60 minutes dive with him and regardless of how many divers I pay the same rate alone or with a group.
I went there 2 times. First time was exactly like that, with a filipino DM/instuctor, and diving juste with him and long personalized dives. I loved it, and have been recommanding them since.
However, last march was quitte disapointing. there was only one british DM/instructor, and we were up to 6 divers, including some newly certified OW, who obviously had a lot to learn (and were very painful to be in the water with : touching everything, making a lot of noise with stickers, not to mention their consumption rate). after 2 days like that, it was supposed to improve, but I got sick, so I don't really know.

Hi Dr. Bill.
Your room seems cheap, does come with A/C and TV ? I get my room at Sheche and i'm charged P 1500/room for 3 pax. with AC TV and kitchen.
I can answer for the banana moon. Yes they have AC and wifi in there lobby/restaurant, a wired connection in the room. there is cable tv with lots of channels, I like the history channel at night. The balconies are huge with plenty of space to hang out your wet gear. There is plenty of hot water, and I always upgrade to a kitchen with stove, refrig, utensils, for a few pesos more. The restaurant food is not so good and a bit pricey for what you get. Better to walk over the full moon for food or go somewhere else to eat. They also have like safety boxes in the lobby to lock up a few things. Girls at front desk are very friendly and helpful. I like to stay up high for the great view, but it is a lot of steps to climb and if you don't want the exercise then stay on 1 or 2 level.

Hi Dr. Bill.

My room rate was part of a dive package with Action Divers (they get a special rate) so I don't know what it would be if you just went straight to the hotel. The room had an A/C unit in it but I didn't use it (costs extra I think). The fan was fine at night for sleeping, at least in late April/early May. No kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom