Philippines (Puerto Galera) or Caribbean (Cozumel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning our next dive vacation for May/June 2018 and are considering Puerto Galera or Cozumel and need help choosing.

We have 60 total dives (~30 self guided shore dives) since OW certification in 2015. We have dove Roatan, Bonaire and Kona, Hawaii. Currently researching Scandi Divers in Puerto Galera and Blue Angel in Cozumel. Will most likely complete AOW on this trip. We enjoy nice coral, big and small critters, warm water and good visibility. So far we have only experienced mild currents while diving. Either Puerto Galera or Cozumel would expose us to drift diving and further our diving experience.

Total cost of two week trip from Seattle appear similar for both locations (maybe a little cheaper to Puerto Galera, airfare is steep to the Caribbean from Seattle).

Which location would you choose?

Lucky you on that airfare.

The Philippines is prolly my favorite destination. It's way inexpensive and crawling with critters.

You're really only technically in Puerto Galera, more properly you're on Sabang Beach, aka LaLaguna. PG is really kind of a rat hole, but you'll be 35 mile ride away...in paradise.

I am familiar with the operation a few doors East, Hotel Atlantis which I would give 5 Stars in any and every respect.

Diving in that zone is crazy current, no doubt. It makes Cozumel feel like a Sunny breeze. Current diving? Diving isn't the "advanced part". It's a combination of small, rugged boat recoveries, back rolls, sticking with the DM, knowing how yo deploy that heretofore ornament on your gear, the SMB, from a depth. It's as about crazy as commonly visited vacation diver sites can get.

If you have the slightest doubt, I'd sharpen your above mentioned skills in the Caribbean. Coz is a grade school education, look at Tobago (North) for the Junior College experience. Batangas is Grad School.

They are used to tourists that are in over their heads, so be honest and tell them your fears and experience. If they don't stand there right then as you ask while on duty land.....and go over the boats and ladders and general dive process right there, go charter with someone else.

I've been to lots of places (except Cozumel) in the Caribbean, because I'm on the East coast and it's much easier than traveling to the Pacific. But if I was on the West coast, I suspect I would be hard pressed to pick anyplace in the Caribbean over the Philippines or some other Pacific destinations. Of course Puerto Galera is known for macro and I think you are less likely to see big stuff there than Coz, but the macro critters are great. There's some places with great coral in the Philippines, but I don't think you will see much of that around PG either, except on a trip to Verde Island. (With 2 weeks, you might consider hitting a second spot in the Philippines to mix up the diving and scenery some, if you're willing to pack up and head back to Manila for a domestic flight during your trip. Not more than 2 spots though as it takes longer to get around than you might expect.)

If I were to return to the Puerto Galera area I know I would avoid Sabang Beach, without getting into details I think it's a dump. (Atlantis is pretty good especially the service, but can only shield you so much from the surrounding dump.) I see Scandi Divers is a couple beaches west, I don't know how different it might be there.

Reactions: Doc
Have you dived Southeast Asia before? If not, definitely Philippines. You owe it to yourself to check it out. :) in addition, you could do cozumel or the Caribbean with less time and a quicker, shorter trip more easily anytime. If you have the time and don’t mind the longer flight, and cost will be about the same, I vote Philippines.

I will second what Doc said about staying at the Atlantis Resort. First class all the way. However, they also have a resort in Dumaguete and having stayed at that one and the one in Puerto Gulera, I liked the one in Dumaguete much better. More secluded and a cleaner surrounding area.

I'd take the PI over Cozumel.
The PI is the northern tip of the Coral Triangle, which has some of the highest biodiversity on the planet.
Only one problem, you'll never want to go back to diving in the Caribbean.

Not sure what Doc is talking about regarding current at PG. I spent ten days there at Atlantis in Sabang Beach - spectacular diving - much better than anything Coz has to offer with zero to little current. Verde Island OTOH - a shortish boat ride from Sabang Beach and a must do - has plenty of current. Comparing Coz to PG is a no contest. The creature count and variety in PG is incredible. Coz does not come within a smither of that.

Last edited:
Having been to both - it's not even close = PG all the way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom