Philkade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just back from our trip to Thailand and an amazing week on the Philkade which took us to both the Similians and Surin islands. The highlight of the week was surely us diving with a whale shark and its substantial entourage at Richelieu Rock. Also dove with many mantas at Koh Bon and saw lots of other great critters for the first time, including ribbon eels, leopard sharks, and cuttlefish.

The wife and I stayed in the Aqua Marine master cabin and loved our time on the ship. 10 guests total for the week, making 23 dives total.

Unfortunately, this week's charter is the Philkade's last, as it will them be formally put up for sale and not be accepting additional bookings from what I was told. We'll have to see how that goes, what country it finds itself in, and if it remains a dive charter.

An amazing liveaboard indeed! How lucky, I am still waiting to see my first whale shark. I was on the Philkade in Oct. 2007. Wish I could have bought her...

Unfortunately, this week's charter is the Philkade's last, as it will them be formally put up for sale and not be accepting additional bookings from what I was told. We'll have to see how that goes, what country it finds itself in, and if it remains a dive charter.

Another fine Live-aboard being sold and possibly leaving Thai waters. It hasn't been easy the last few years for dive operators to survive here in Thailand and I think quite a few more businesses will close their doors and/or go up for sale.

Very nice and personable owners. I wish them the best of luck.

When did you see the Whale Shark? I was at Richelieu rock on April 7th and saw the Philkade there and saw a whale shark as well so I am assuming it was the same day. That was the highlight of my diving for sure. Thats too bad about the livaboard it looked like a great operation.

I was on the Phil Kade trip with Chase and Cory (Mrs Chase). This is a video clip, un-edited of the whale shark encounter taken by another diver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx3xJkYnyoI

Our diving started a couple of days earlier in Phi Phi on a day boat with Moskito Divers. If and when pics ever get finished, there will be some Moony in Thailand photos.

Art

When did you see the Whale Shark? I was at Richelieu rock on April 7th and saw the Philkade there and saw a whale shark as well so I am assuming it was the same day. That was the highlight of my diving for sure. Thats too bad about the livaboard it looked like a great operation.

Yup, that was us there on the 7th. Great day, and great trip. Whale Shark, Ornate Ghost Pipefish, Mantas, Blue Ribbon Eels, Cuttlefish, Leopard Sharks, Bumphead Parrotfish, Napoleon Wrasse, et al.

A group of our divers were also at Richelieu Rock that week and were lucky enough to buddy up with the whaleshark. This photo was taken by an Instructor on our team - Rachel Hawtin.

Attachments

• whale shark1 (Medium).jpg
    whale shark1 (Medium).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 68
I had divers up there that week and the following week. All my divers in both weeks were thrilled to see a/the whaleshark. I'm waiting for them to send me their video, but I suppose it's redundant already, LOL.

I had divers up there that week and the following week. All my divers in both weeks were thrilled to see a/the whaleshark. I'm waiting for them to send me their video, but I suppose it's redundant already, LOL.
Quero! you were there at the same time we were too? Dang, I wish I had known. It would have been nice to meet you. I bet I could have talked them into taking me over to your boat in the dingy!
Thanks for all your advice. It came in handy. Six of us stayed at one of the hotels in Bangkok that you recommended.
And yes-I enjoyed the local Rums. I was going to buy some at the Duty Free shop to bring home but....they didn't have any. Just all the same stuff I can get here in the states so, I went home empty handed. If I had known, then I would have loaded up at the store in Bangkok. Damn the bad luck!

Back
Top Bottom