Phillipines : What do you think of my planned trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erik.p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm new to this board, so please treat me gently...

I've been to the Philippines twice (1998 and 2003) and really enjoy vacationing there. So much I want to go back next year, 2005.

My first trip went to Bohol and then Apo Island (Negros). The second trip went to Coron and then Apo (again) and finally Malapascua.

This time I finally want to do Tubbataha.

Any comments on my planned trip?

Arrive last week of May 2005.

1:st week - Snorkel with Whale Sharks in Donsol. Dive with Mantas at Ticao.

2:nd week - Go to Camiguin, dive a bit and do tourist stuff (sight-seeing etc.)

3:rd week - Go to Cagayan de Oro, do tourist stuff. Head to Davao, do tourist stuff.

4:th week - Go to Tubattaha. Dive.

Personally I have the following concerns,

1) Will I see any whale sharks last week of May?

2) Is it safe to travel my mini-buss from Cagayan de Oro to Davao (don't want to take the 12 hour regular buss)?

3) Tubattaha trip will be their final before the season ends. Does this mean really high seas? Any advantages on going on the last trip of the year?

Any comments welcome.

Regards,

Erik - Sweden

Gussy:
...or are you trying to make us drool? :wink:

Hehe..a bit of both maybe :)

Comments from someone that is living in the Philippines would be nice though, as they are bound to know more of the safety issues on Mindanao, and more importantly, the chances of seeing whale sharks in May...

Don't know about the whale sharks schedule, but I'm originally from there and go back every year. Let me explain the safety issue like this...I have friends from there who are scared to coming to San Francisco because of 9/11 and how someone might bomb the Golden Gate Bridge! However, just like any place in the world there are places that you should not go. The big cities in Mindanao are safe. In think you already know the common sense things, like do draw attention to yourself by waving money in front of everyone, speaking and laughing too loud, don't be arrogant or get into a fight. My sister-in-law has dived with the whale sharks before and I will ask her. I am going back for a visit this October too. See! You are not the only one going there...except I am going to see the snake instead!

Hmm..I see...sea snakes you say? Well, I saw a couple at Gato Island, Malapascua, and from what I gather your going there, so you should see some. Please inform me about the likelyhood of Whale shark sightings in May, if you get any further info.
I try to always keep a low profile, although as a blond Swede I don't exactly blend in too well in the Philippines...
Any specific info about the road situation between Cagayan de Oro and Davao appreciated.

I checked two weeks ago as I was thinking of going to Samal. There is a resort there called the Pearl Farm wherein something happened a few years ago. My friends told me it's okay. However, being a little paranoid, I decided not to down south. Even thought I look the same, they could still tell that I'm a city boy! I figured that there are enough places in the middle of the country...more than anyone can cover in a few years.

I'll let you know on the whale sharks, but it'll be a week or two before I hear anything. If you don't hear from me in a week or two, shoot me an email.

erik.p:
Hmm..I see...sea snakes you say? Well, I saw a couple at Gato Island, Malapascua, and from what I gather your going there, so you should see some. Please inform me about the likelyhood of Whale shark sightings in May, if you get any further info.
I try to always keep a low profile, although as a blond Swede I don't exactly blend in too well in the Philippines...
Any specific info about the road situation between Cagayan de Oro and Davao appreciated.

I know someone who has a business there, and I just heard frome him that it's really safe. Still, I'm too chicken to visit there.

In the interest of your safety, book the same trip for a few months earlier and I will go over there and dive it to see if it is safe for you. I will report back on everything I discover. That way if it is not safe or if it is not good you will know in enough time to cancel. I know that this is a really nice offer by me, but that is just the kinda guy that I am. Anything to help out. --*smiling*--

Wristshot
Packed and ready to go.

Yes, that's very kind of you. You didn't mention anything about payment, but as all Americans are filthy rich I guess this is not an issue. Tubbataha season starts in April I think so just go then and let me know... ;P

not to good. i suggest you make your tubattaha trip first as May is just about the closing of Tubattaha . and if you are unlucky the rains may come in sooner.

Whale sharks sightings are more during the time of January

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom