phobia of suffocation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BXey

New
Reaction score
Basically I really really want to learn how to dive BUT I have a huge fear of not being able to breathe, I used to have panic attacks which are 100% under control now but I still get terrified if I feel my breathing is restricted... e.g. like if you put clothes/a cushion etc over your mouth and nose you CAN breathe but you don't feel you're 'properly' getting enough air... I panic... I want to know what breathing under water feels like as I am very apprehensive about it

I also dont know whether to do like a test dive and see if I can handle it or whether to commit to a course and just be okay with the fact I may have to get used to the breathing and face a fear, as I don't want to let my partner down by giving up if the first session is hard...but I also dont want him to spend 350 getting qualified if I fail the course and we can't go diving

As long as your regulator (the thing you breathe thru) is serviced properly, you should feel little difference between breathing with it underwater and breathing normal at the surface without one. Maybe a small difference, but most likely after about 5 breaths you won't even notice a difference.
I suggest a Discover Scuba Diving class (an afternoon in a pool) to try. Before you commit.

Basically I really really want to learn how to dive BUT I have a huge fear of not being able to breathe, I used to have panic attacks which are 100% under control now but I still get terrified if I feel my breathing is restricted... e.g. like if you put clothes/a cushion etc over your mouth and nose you CAN breathe but you don't feel you're 'properly' getting enough air... I panic... I want to know what breathing under water feels like as I am very apprehensive about it

I also dont know whether to do like a test dive and see if I can handle it or whether to commit to a course and just be okay with the fact I may have to get used to the breathing and face a fear, as I don't want to let my partner down by giving up if the first session is hard...but I also dont want him to spend 350 getting qualified if I fail the course and we can't go diving

Take a discover scuba experience in a swimming pool. You will find out if you are comfortable with a mask over your face and breathing from a regulator. At my dive center we do them for $20.00 and we furnish all equipment. Panic attacks and diving do not mix. discover Scuba experience will let you find out if it for you.
DivemasterDennis

can you freedive and snorkel? If you can do that, then you probably can do scuba. If you can't, then it is unlikely that you will enjoy scuba diving.

I know what you mean! I still get somewhat panicky if someone throws a blanket or towel over my head and holds it for even a second. I got that way from my brothers when I was little throwing a blanket over my head, holding me down and tickling me. (and I still HATE to get tickled, I'll go postal if someone tries). I used to have full blown panic over it but not anymore. Actually in a weird way what I think helped me was diving.

I very much wanted to dive my whole life but I felt I was mildly claustrophobic from those early events and I had a very bad experience with a rip tide in my early teens. So after a divorce, a major move I decided it was time to do something challenging and for me! So after a couple of false starts and a very very bad experience with my first dive instructor and a take it very slow learning process, I became certified and very passionate about diving and I am now a divemaster.

During my training, I would do quite a bit of self talk in my head to get past the anxious feeling about breathing ("breathe, stop, think about it, nothing is going to happen, you have air, breathe in and out slow, relax, etc) Recently I had the experience of the blanket thing and I felt the anxiety rise but then the dive training self talk just kicked in and I didn't have such a bad reaction.

I would highly suggest doing the discovery dive first, let them know about your fears and take it really slow and easy and just be "in the moment", focus on your breathing in through the regulator and back out, how the gear feels on you, etc. to take the focus away from your fear of panicking.

Start with snorkeling/skin diving. That will get most of your concerns behind you. It will either come easy or this will give you a low cost low risk means of getting acclimated.

pete

The dsd and snorkeling are great suggestions.

One thing to be aware of is that some people are uncomfortable with the mask since it prevents you from inhaling through your nose. You need to be a comfortable mouth breather to scuba or snorkel. You may be able to try some masks in your local dive shop and see if his is an issue.

Without knowing you, I honestly think you will not enjoy learning to dive. The (PADI) certification process involves several excercises involving 'air depletion', where the instructor will turn off your air underwater. Other skills such as mask clearing or no-mask swimming will also be tough.

You may not enjoy the learning process, but you may well enjoy diving. Only you can weigh the pros and cons.

But before you do anything, get comfortable in the water. Snorkeling often will help.

Good luck

Yeah snorkelling-- absolutely. I've thought at times it would be a good prerequisite for taking OW course. Such as-- snorkel down to the deep end pool bottom (and back up...). DSD also a good idea, as is getting used to breathing only by mouth. Do you have any (other?) claustraphobic tendencies?

I would recommend that you also try your discover scuba course through a professional who may be willing to do this one on one with you. It will be more expensive, yes, but if you're apprehensive about having attacks in front of others (don't worry, being self conscious is normal) then this will help you experience it with less stress in a more controlled environment with someones full attention. Going with a close friend for support may also help, just make sure to communicate your apprehensions to those you'll be trying diving with so preparations are made and responded to appropriately. The typical "idea" is to keep you under water in an instruction course (not discover scuba, can't speak for that) so having someone trying to nudge you towards progress you're not comfortable with will not erase any fears or anxieties, only make them worse. Slow steps. Diving is safe and fun but to get certified and prepare yourself for that "longshot" chance of a malfunction, you have to receive training and confidence to deal with very real stressful situations that will address your anxiety. I won't lie to you, a good portion of diving is confidence in the equipment, it's made to keep you alive. The other portion is confidence in skills and comfort to keep yourself alive and (not that you should wholesale put trust into anyone where life situations are concerned [everyone panics and that is not something you can prepare for when it's real]) your dive-buddy as a backup.

I hope you're able to try diving and eventually become certified after working on your anxieties, nothing wrong with that and please don't force yourself. If it doesn't feel right, don't force it. That's a rule we all follow :)

Back
Top Bottom