Phoenix Islands, Kiribati, Wow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So my September 2008 issue of Smithsonian magazine arrives, generally not too exciting. On the cover is a great shot of some schooling fish in gin clear water. Turns out the feature article is about the Phoenix Islands, Kiribati.

This year, this small south Pacific Nation set aside the world’s largest marine reserve, Phoenix Islands Protected Area, 158,000 square miles of diving bliss. Scientist believes this area has the most pristine reefs left in the world. They are confident that many of these reefs have had little to no impact from human interaction. One scientist stated that “It was the first time I had seen what the ocean may have been like thousands of years ago”. Huge schools of all types of tropical fish, sharks, manta’s, napoleon wrasse, turtles, etc can be seen on almost every dive. The reefs are absolutely pristine.

So are you ready to plan your next trip? The downside for all of us is they are located 2,000 miles from Hawaii and 700 miles from the nearest airport. Luckily, part of Kiribati’s plan is to develop scuba diving tourism in the next few years.

http://www.phoenixislands.org/movie.html

So my question to the 100,000+ members of SB, what would you be willing to pay to see the ocean’s reefs and fauna the way they were thousands of years ago? I know that I am in. I might sell a nice car or more to get to go to a place to dive that I thought didn’t exist anymore in my life time.

Also, has anyone on the board dove in the Phoenix Islands or any of the other Kiribati islands; IE. Gilberts, Lines, etc.?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. BTW, it definitely would be worth getting hold of a copy of the September issue of Smithsonian to read the article.

Good Diving,

Dave

Last edited:
Most of what I know about Kiribati comes from a very interesting book (and not a flattering one):

The Sex Lives of Cannibals

It would be pretty amazing to see reefs with relatively little direct impact, especially given that we might not have many left in another generation. That said, as they develop a scuba tourism industry the impact to the reefs will almost certainly occur and increase. If we can ensure all the operators follow the best practices developed by the Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL) or similar, I'd be interested. I think patronizing sustainable, thoughtful, and responsible operations that benefit local communities is a great way to express what's important to me.

Most of what I know about Kiribati comes from a very interesting book (and not a flattering one):

The Sex Lives of Cannibals

Great book. Having spent some time in an area much like Kiribati (Western Province, Solomon Islands)made it all the better. GETTING STONED WITH SAVAGES, Troost's other work concerning Vanuatu , reads just as well.

Both should be required reading for anyone who has spent time living in the third world South Pacific.

Just read the article myself and thought... hmmm, another dive destination to add to my "bucket list."

Great book. Having spent some time in an area much like Kiribati (Western Province, Solomon Islands)made it all the better. GETTING STONED WITH SAVAGES, Troost's other work concerning Vanuatu , reads just as well.

Both should be required reading for anyone who has spent time living in the third world South Pacific.

.....a great, fun read.

Dave

I couldn't believe the part about a shark finning operation blowing through and taking 60-100 sharks a day.

Wow... bastards.

It shocked me too after getting used to the idea this is such a pristine place and the "bastages" show up and wipe out half a century's worth of sharks in a few days.

As you said .....bastards.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom