Photo of fossilized scallop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a new (new to me) fossil bed two weekends ago. It is 25 miles offshore Charleston SC. It is a ledge that runs parallel to the coastline. I found this wonderful fossilized scallop there. I had to dig it out of the limestone using my dive knife. It was fun it. I love finding fossils!

I found the fossilized Murex (behind the scallop, grayish, to the left in the photo) 15 miles offshore North Myrtle Beach next to a shipwreck.

Located another fossil bed offshore Murrels Inlet SC. Headed there next weekend.

It has been a fun dive season for me. Looking forward to 2011.

100_7380-1.jpg

Thanks Ktom. I like finding things. I like finding fossils the most. For some unexplainable reason, they fascinate me. You should look at diving South Carolina. Its not too far from you. I am headed out on a really nice boat next weekend out of Murrels Inlet SC. Its a nice 42 foot Newton. We are headed to an offshore fossil bed. I will be digging like a banshee if the conditions are right. I have noticed the things I find have been getting larger and better ever since my first day of Scuba. Then I was picking up tiny things on the bottom of the swimming pool.

I have wanted to get up there and do some fossil diving, I even bought a permit a couple of weeks ago. I was in Charleston last weekend doing a SDAMP course on documenting shipwrecks and other artifact finds. We dove a training pond and the class was both days so I didn't have the opportunity to go actually look for things, but I'll be back.

Thank you for the recommendations, I will take a look at them. I'll hopefully get another chance to get up that way before it gets too cold.

Walter, I e-mailed you the picture. That is a very nice collection in the picture.

Now I can see it, but others who can't see photobucket still can't. I know, I'll post the photo you e-mailed to me. That way everyone can see it.

Attachments

• Scallop_Fossil.jpg
    Scallop_Fossil.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 222
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom