Photo of fossilized scallop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are others in Venice. Megalodon Charters is a good one. There are some more. We used a local guy that runs charters on the side .... but can't think of his name at the moment. Got his reference somewhere.

Thanks for the video. Took me a minute to get "tooth eyes". Guess I will have to contact Jamie.....

Great find.. Thanks for showing

Always good to know someone is enjoying ones photos. I am starting to take notice that some of the ledges (there are three distinct ledges or ridges running parallel to the shoreline) offshore South Carolina contain fossil beds. I have been diving long enough (15yrs) that I am quick to notice fossilized material and limestone, so when I see it, I quickly whip out my dive knife and start digging. My dive partner has grown use to seeing me with my head in a hole and in a cloud of dust. I always enjoy finding a fossil but like shelling also.

Below is a photo of a "White Albino Welk" I found offshore South Carolina in 2010.

34700_1632149008308_1374146939_1644274_4448263_n.jpg

Will keep it in mind Laguna ... I am basically a warm season recreational diver, so this cold weather keeps me out of the water. Will really not start planning my 2011 dive season until the first quarter. I am thinking I will put the offshore Wilmington NC fossil beds on my list. Maybe go back to the fossil ledge I found offshore Charleston 2010. I am sure I will do some blue water recreational, like Boynton Beach FL, and maybe little Cayman. There is a Florida shipwreck that has my attention also .... called the Baja California

What is diving the Waccamaw like? Have you ever dove the Cooper? Is it similar to the cooper? The Cooper has viz in the 2 to 4 foot range. I dont do well in water with zero viz. (as in you cant see your hand or flashlight)

Hello Lee, I sure would like to talk with you further through email if at all possible about fossil hunting. I started diving last year and I mainly black river dive and have never dived in the open ocean for fossils but sure would like too. I am planning a trip to Venice Beach this coming summer for fossil diving but would like to hit some spots closer to home. I currently live in Summerville but am looking to move over to Mt Pleasant some time this year.

Take care,

Mike

Hello Mike... Scubaboard has an email system. You can send me a message there if you like. I have been on the board for years, and I am not going anywhere soon.

Will be happy to share all I know about fossil hunting. I got hooked about 15 years ago. I am not obsessed like some, but I do enjoy it and I have done it enough that I have learned about the earth and its layers. Locally the Cooper is the most dived. The Edisto and Wando are dove also.

Summerville is actually a haven for land based fossil hunters. The trick is knowing where to look. I have seen $1k megs pulled out of the dirt on the side of the road on Hwy 61.

If you research sharks teeth and fossil hunting online you will find all sorts of references.

The bottom line is fossils are most everywhere. You just have to find places where they have been exposed to the surface and are not deep in the earths layers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom