Photos from Barracuda Point, Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, did you just dive in Sipadan? how was the weather lately? I am scheduled to leave for Sipadan next weekend. Hopefully it is sunny out there.

Sipadan is always sunny :)

It does rain, but normally in the evening or at night. A typical tropical climate where the morning + afternoon is sunny, and clouds build up later and it pours when it gets dark.

Have fun!

Great photos. I was there in 98 and did Barracuda Point a couple times. We could swim right into the school. And there was a big school of Trevalis right up on top of the reef there too. I can't believe you didn't see many turtles. I had to push them out of the way to see anything else back then. But they were gathering eggs and hatching them and releasing. Too many of them. Thanks for the photos. Hank

The school of barracuda was there, but I was in the middle of adjusting my painful ear pressure (I guess it bound to happen when you dived one too many). Otherwise I would have "chased" the school of barracuda and see what they did next. I'm sure they did the tornado thingy someplace further than where I could manouvre.

Oddly, the turtles were not plenty but I was busy with other things to really think about it (read: moray eels, sharks, sea fan corals, etc).

Thanks for sharing the pics. i used to be using A70 too.

stonefish35:
Thanks for sharing the pics. i used to be using A70 too.
And what are you using now? :)

Btw, for the record, my A70 just died recently after my dive in Tioman. So will be having a different camera + u/w housing.

Hey, hold your horse. Check this out

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp

Used to be using a A70, until my LCD turns fuzzy, sometimes pitch dark. And I am aware of this common complain among A70 users through photography forum in Singapore in Apr 05. Checked in my camera to Canon Service centre and they claimed that nothing was wrong with it. i insisted that the problem comes on and off. And I'm aware that there are alot of other A70 users having the same problem as mine.

At the point of time, there was a shortage of CCD. And Canon have a alternative. trade in the old faulty A70, pay S$140 to get a new A95, with 3 mths warranty. Until the advisory alert in Oct 05, where we then knew that Canon was not the only ones affected. Even the legendary C5050 was affected by the Sony CCD.

Recently had 2 friends had their A70 died on them. They managed to get it repaired and had the CCD changed. Thats effectively a new camera since the CCD is changed. I guess that will last another 3 yrs perhaps ? Check out your local Canon service centre. I guess the nearest is in KL ? Where are you based ?

Cheers

stonefish, I'm fully aware of the CCD default because I had mine for repair free of charge recently. My camera died because the 3-yr old o-ring finally let in water during my recent dive. Time to move on I guess.

Even so, I'm proud of the A70.

Oh, sad to hear the death of your A70. Oh man , 3 year old O ring ? Why dun you get a replacement from Canon ? It cost S$20-S$25 over at Singapore. Not willing to pay that kind of $$ for an O ring, I search for an alternative . Althought My A95 housing is less than 3 mths old, I took no chance. Its always good to travel with spare O rings.

Search and found an O ring supplier. Brought my Original Canon O ring to him, he measure the length and diameter, and gave me an O ring with exact dimensions, and said that the O ring material is the same as my canon one. i bought 5 in total, for my A95, and friends' A70 , A75 , A80 at a fraction of the cost of an Canon one.Cheap

After I got home, did 3 tests to confirm that it will work with my canon housing.

Test 1 : Apply the silicone to the o ring to see if it will cause the O ring to expand.To see If the o ring material is not suitable for the silicone.
Result after 72 hrs: O ring did not expand, safe to use the silicon gel on this O ring

Test 2 : Put it in my housing, and soak at home in 1m of water for 3 hrs. If its not fitting, at 1M, it will leak.
Result : No leakage detected

Test 3 : Brought it down for diving to 20m, empty housing.
Result : No Leakage detected and camera was loaded into housing for subsequent dives.

Friends have not dived with the new o ring yet. But should not be a problem as they compared and find it to be same size as the Canon ones

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom