Photoshop CS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

havnmonkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm familiar with Photoshop from messing around in graphic design so most of the tools are not new to me... but now that I'm using it to process my own images I want to shoot in RAW to get the most out of my pic. However, I have a Canon G6 that supports RAW and jpg; will CS open the RAW images? Or do I need a plugin from Adobe? I was able to use the Canon camera software to open and edit the image but seemed like it wanted to save it as a .jpg! I know there are RAW converters but I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to use them for...

Bottom line____ I take a photo with my Canon in RAW... how do I edit it in Photoshop CS?

havnmonkey:
Bottom line____ I take a photo with my Canon in RAW... how do I edit it in Photoshop CS?

When you pull a RAW image up in Photoshop, you should get the ACR screen up before anything else. This screen allows one to adjust a large number of things like WB, Exposure, Saturation, etc. There are three tabs of info one can adjust.

If you are NOT seeing ACR when you open a RAW image something is wrong. Make sure you are using a version of the RAW plugin that contains your camera as RAW is not just manufacture specific, but model specific. You can download RAW plugins at the Adobe website. They just released one recently.

As for saving images you can NOT SAVE a 16bit image in jpg, so you must be doing something to covert it to 8bit if it's allowing you to save it in the jpg format. You can also not SAVE an image in a RAW format in CS. Adobe now has something called Adobe RAW that you can use to save images in CS2, but in CS the default format for saving RAW images is PSD.

Hope this helps..

I see... my canon editor is Zoom browser but it is limited in options. When I download the images on to my computer the canon software can open and "process RAW" but if I close that down and go to "my pictures" the RAW image thumbnails have the little "program" pic on them; and when I right click "edit with photoshop" then photoshop says "...it is not the right kind of document..."

So I guess I start the search for the appropriate plugin!

Hi Monkey:

I assume you are using a windows computer (not a mac) in which case this is the link to the latest update of the adobe camera raw plugin (ACR) for Photoshop CSCLICK HERE. If you use a mac there is a different download. The instructions have a link to the supported camera raw formats.

With your camera raw installed you should be able to click on the image from inside photoshop file browser and it should load it into the raw converter. You should then be able to work on it in the converter and open it into photoshop.

Let me know if this helps.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Hi Monkey:

I assume you are using a windows computer (not a mac) in which case this is the link to the latest update of the adobe camera raw plugin (ACR) for Photoshop CSCLICK HERE.
---Bob

Well that should just about solve you issues at least with RAW and Adobe CS. I think you will discover that ACS is about the only tool you need to processs RAW, however some would disagree :D

I use ACS for all my RAW processing, and don't even bother with the Canon or Nikon tools anymore as it's that good. CS was the first release ACR was available in, and it was the main reason I upgraded. I've been VERY happy with ACR.

I try and post updates on this forum on stuff like this, but sometimes I miss things. If you want to keep up to date with important software releases by Adobe their is a email newletter type of service that registered users can subscribe to. Generally I would say stay away from vendor email subscriptions, however in the case of Adobe, I'd highly recommend it as when they annouce software updates, new features, and plug-in's it's benificial information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom