Photoshop legal on the cheap...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a trick to getting PS on the Cheap. Purchase ANY version of PS (FULL VERSION). The version MUST be able to be registered. IF a version of PS has already been registered, one can transfer registration, but this has to be done by the registered owner. Make sure you get a FULL version that CAN be registered. DO NOT purchase an OEM version unless is specifically says it CAN be registed with Adobe (which most OEM versions can NOT be registered).

Once you have a full version of PS, you can then purchase upgrades. The myth is that you need Version 5 or maybe 6 or higher to purchase upgrades. This is NOT true. However you will have to call Adobe and get an unlock code when installing the upgrade.

I originally purchased an full retail version 4 some time back for next to nothing and registered it. I was able to get my hands on everything up until CS came out, but then decided the upgrade price for CS was worth it.

So I think I paid about $200 for my copy of CS, which while hardly free, is a far cry from the $400-$600 that full versions sell for.

That is a crafty way of getting upgrades for cheaper....I took an different route for my copy of CS.

I paid zero dollars for my copy......:D I'll just leave it at that...lol

Divmstr223:

41.gif

Divmstr223:
That is a crafty way of getting upgrades for cheaper....I took an different route for my copy of CS.

Yeah, I said Legally :D

RonFrank:
Yeah, I said Legally :D

I've been trying very hard to go the straight and narrow, but it's tough. :D But on a serious not, I've spent limited time using CS , but I love it. I need to enhance some of the mediocre pictures I've been taking...but I don't think CS does miracles....lol

My recommendation is to take a class at any credible institution (like a community college) and get the software from the college bookstore. It's worth it even if you blow off the class. Adobe and Microsoft both offer academic pricing on most of their products.

WileEDiver:
My recommendation is to take a class at any credible institution (like a community college) and get the software from the college bookstore. It's worth it even if you blow off the class. Adobe and Microsoft both offer academic pricing on most of their products.

I can get educational pricing with my son in school. Heck, most anyone can get educational pricing as most sellers (at least online) don't ask for any proof of anything.

Unfortunately the educational licenses are for just that. As someone who does uses products like Adobe CS, Word, and others for my professional photography, it's really not legal for me to have an educational license. Keep it in mind, if you sell an image, you are considered a professional. I seriously doubt the Adobe Police are going to be breaking down any doors, but with pin registration on XP, and Adobe CS, there may come a time when these companies take action. Don't doubt for a minute that microsoft could not figure out exactly what is on a compter running XP, and in the case of microsoft products if the license is legal.

As a programmer, I have just about anything avaialbe that I want for no cost if I choose to take that route. At this time I have only ONE peice of software that I don't legally own on my home computer, so I've been trying very hard to walk the line :14:

Ron-

I wasn't advocating obtaining software other than by legitimate means (I said sign up for the class yourself not take advantage of someone else's student ID).

I would guess that most people here would be using software obtained this way in a proper manner, but I was certainly not advocating using software in violation of the license agreement.

that you were suggesting to use an educational license incorrectly.

I posted more just so people were aware what an educational license was intended for. One could argue that if you have a website, and take a photo for use on that site to advertise a product or business then an educational license is not appropriate.

Do I think that anyone is ever going to come after educational licenses users who use such a license in small business.... doubtful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom