Photoshop legal on the cheap...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Don't doubt for a minute that microsoft could not figure out exactly what is on a compter running XP, and in the case of microsoft products if the license is legal.

I've been told by my ISP that they already do. I should have dropped out of Harvard instead of graduating.

drbill:
I've been told by my ISP that they already do. I should have dropped out of Harvard instead of graduating.

it all depends, how "open" your computer is to the "world wide hacking and observing scene". most computers online are a "walk in the park" if you really want to. anyway - that isnt to imply that i run or suggest to run "illegal" software. somehow all this companies must get paid for badly written code and mostly inflated prices.

LSDeep:
it all depends, how "open" your computer is to the "world wide hacking and observing scene". most computers online are a "walk in the park" if you really want to. anyway - that isnt to imply that i run or suggest to run "illegal" software. somehow all this companies must get paid for badly written code and mostly inflated prices.

If you are running XP, and on the internet, then Microsoft has access to what is on your computer. I'm no expert in how this is accomplished, but I understand enough about software, registry, and network security and layers to know it's not difficult for the people in control of the OS to gain about any info they want from a computer on a network.

In the licensing agreement with XP (that you MUST agree with in order to install the product) microsoft basically says they have the right to examine your computer and review the contents for any purposes they deem appropriate.

Back to CS -- for those of you who might know, as a PRACTICAL MATTER for an ammie like me (enthusiastic ammie, but NOT an artist!), what is the benefit of CS over Elements?

When Elements 3 was released, I was surprised to find the Pop Photography reviewer say that Elements 3 was just as good, if not better for the "recreational" photographer, as CS?

Again, for those of you who have used both, is that right?

yes, Ron, what about that? I already have Elements. And I haven't even learned that yet.

catherine96821:
yes, Ron, what about that? I already have Elements. And I haven't even learned that yet.

I don't use Elements, so it's difficult for me to judge if it's as good for most as CS. I will say that if you shoot RAW, if Elements does not have ACR IMO it's NOT a great alternative to CS for the RAW shooter.

I'll try and look into some reviews of Elements to see what I can find out. IMO from what I have read, Coral Paint Shop Pro X maybe one of the best alternatives on the market at about $100.

One thing I look for is color aware applications. Elements is likely color aware, and Paint Shop pro is definately color aware. RAW processing in an app is not IMO a huge requirement as one can use Nikon Capture, or whatever Canon provides. However that does then involve a multi step process using two seperate applications to first process in RAW, and then process using the software of choice. One thing I'm enjoying about CS is the fact I can do it all in one app. I do however use Imatch for image management.

I've owned a DSLR for maybe four years now, and at the time Adobe PS was one of the few great tools out there, and about the only one that did what it does (if that makes a lick of sense :D ). I purchased a full version of PS before I had my D1x (actually was initially shooting the Oly E10) so I've never really had the need to look hard at other software options.

Thanks Ron, you are a walking source of information at our fingertips. I really appreciate it.

For all the potential criminals out there, my daughter informs me that CS 2 cannot be copied.

My plan is to do the free 30 day download like Kim suggested, before the workshop (using cs2 in class) get familiar, then if I get hooked I will get it the way you outlined Ron. I don't know why I am agonizing, I just never paid that much for a program.

(free) plugin for Gimp so you can open RAW files:
http://www.insflug.org/raw/

I'm not sure what "color aware" means. Here's the Gimp manual, though:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/

Gimp may not work for everyone (if you're aim is to take a class, PS classes are easier to find), but for many I think it's silly to risk illegal software or pay $600 (essentially paying Adobe for those that steal it as well as for your own copy) when there's an open source (free) alternative that'd work for you. ...it's at least worth looking into I'd think.

And while I'm up here... :soapbox:
(If you're stealing or paying $350 for Microsoft Office, check out Open Office: http://www.openoffice.org/ -it'll open and save files in Word format, Excel, etc.)

RonFrank:
If you are running XP, and on the internet, then Microsoft has access to what is on your computer.
Maybe! On the other hand Microsoft can't even stop their own OS being hacked! Now I'm not advocating doing anything illegal but even a company like Microsoft has no chance to protect their code against the combined ability of every other programmer on the planet. The world is just too big. In the end it's a question of trust and value. If the consumer sees the real value of a product they'll willingly pay for it. If they don't...they'll get it any way they can. Most companies realize this so software prices have tumbled. The 'lite' versions prove this - 80% or more of the capability for 20% of the price? Elements is excellent value...and more than most amateurs will ever be able to learn to handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom