phtography, bubbles, silly question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This probably sounds ridiculous, and maybe it is...but I was just wondering if there would be any problems, either in principle or practice, with attaching some long (maybe 10 ft of something lightweight and positively buoyant) tubing to regulator vents (I/m thinking something like latex tubing) in order to divert the bubble stream far enough away from whatever you are trying to take pictures of or otherwise observe, in order not to spook it/them. Just curious.

Dave

It depends on how you rig it. If your tube is open to the water at both ends, then no, you wouldn't run into any problems with your regulator - but you wouldn't silence the bubbles either.
If, on the other hand, you were to have a sealed system at the regulator, there are significant problems in doing what you propose - for it to work you'd have to absolutely control the "rise over run" of your pipe to obtain a "zero detriment" affect on your regulator - if the end of the pipe were too high, you'd induce a freeflow - and if way too high the suction induced by the pipe would overcome the capacity of the regulator to deliver air and you couldn't breathe. If the end of the pipe were too low, you'd create a back pressure on the exhaust valve(s), making it hard to exhale, and if much too low, a back pressure that would force the exhaust valve flapper back into the orifice and you'd end up breathing water. So, possible... yes... likely to work? NO. Dangerous, definintely.
IOW, not a very good idea.
Rick

You get really good at being sneaky or get a rebreather!

...a couple of possible solutions:

1) use a 'side-exhaust' regulator (like the excellent Poseidon Odin)

2) use a 'vintage' twinhose regulator that exhausts bubbles behind one's head......these are pretty common on E-bay or @ vintagescubasupply in Oregon, where you can buy them totally refurbished with new hoses/innards that are safe to dive.

I think I might have gotten this tip from Dee: exhale SLOWLY though your mask.

It seems to diffuse the bubble stream & not be as noisy as exhaling through your reg.

~SubMariner~

It also keeps your mask clear!

Back
Top Bottom