Phuket - Price Negotiability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What shop is that?

Davy Jones Locker. I'm actually headed there right now! I jumped on some < $600 USD return tickets from San Francisco to Bangkok for September.

Chinese airlines are really driving the price down, even to $450 return, but with crazy long layovers, making the 20 hr trip 45! I'd spend $100-150 more to avoid that. ANA even jumped in and that means a possible long layover in Tokyo, long enough to spend half a day. I went through Taipei though.

What's nice now is that you can get from BKK to Koh Tao via a single ticket on a budget airline, Nok Air, which wasn't available before. Airport to pier on Koh Tao. It adds about $200 return to the trip.

Huh, that's where I did my OWD and AOWD, didn't know they offered this option.

I've been to Koh Tao three times now - first time I took an Air Asia flight from Bangkok (single ticket for bus + flight + ferry), second time it was Lomprayah bus + ferry (overnight on the way out, full day on the way back) and the last time I took the train, which I liked the most - sleeper berth, left Bangkok around 8PM, arrived to Chumphon early in the morning, got to Koh Tao on the first ferry of the day and was in the water that same afternoon. Cost was 1700 baht one way (I was going to Phuket from there, not back to Bangkok).

I thought it was something someone at the shop made up, but it's listed online as an option.

I got my OW and AOW there too. I'm excited to be back, but it's been 4-5 years now and the last time I was there, there were rolling power outages due to all the new buildings and businesses. Hopefully the power grid has been upgraded.

I've been a regular blood donor and was doing the flight to Koh Samui, then ferry to Koh Tao, to avoid malaria region between BKK and Surat Tani and Chumpon, but I went to Indonesia this year, so I'm out from donating for a year due to being in a malaria region. The routes you found are significantly cheaper and I should try one day.

Yeah, I see it now - I was looking on the booking section of their website earlier, but it's buried between the various courses.

I've found 12Go Asia: Book Trains, Buses, Ferries, Transfers & Flights to be very helpful for traveling around Thailand. Just pick your waypoints and dates and they'll give you a list of options to get from one to the next.

Davy Jones Locker. I'm actually headed there right now! I jumped on some < $600 USD return tickets from San Francisco to Bangkok for September.

Chinese airlines are really driving the price down, even to $450 return, but with crazy long layovers, making the 20 hr trip 45! I'd spend $100-150 more to avoid that. ANA even jumped in and that means a possible long layover in Tokyo, long enough to spend half a day. I went through Taipei though.

What's nice now is that you can get from BKK to Koh Tao via a single ticket on a budget airline, Nok Air, which wasn't available before. Airport to pier on Koh Tao. It adds about $200 return to the trip.

There's an airport on Koh Tao?

There's an airport on Koh Tao?

No. It's an inclusive ticket that will get you from Bangkok to Koh Tao via air, bus and ferry. Before, you had to book the segments yourself and if one leg misses, you're stuck. Now, at least, they'll make sure you get there.

No. It's an inclusive ticket that will get you from Bangkok to Koh Tao via air, bus and ferry. Before, you had to book the segments yourself and if one leg misses, you're stuck. Now, at least, they'll make sure you get there.
There were and are other options for an all inclusive ticket. Easiest of course one of the travel agents, but if you want to book online from home, check e.g. Lompraya. Should be much, much cheaper.

There were and are other options for an all inclusive ticket. Easiest of course one of the travel agents, but if you want to book online from home, check e.g. Lompraya. Should be much, much cheaper.

My understanding with the Nok Air ticket is that they partnered with Lomprayah, coordinating the connections. A travel agent will piece together the route, but holds no responsibility if a connection is mistimed.

I thought it was easy peasy to fly into Koh Samui and take the fast boat/ferry to Koh Tao. I haven't gone over from Chumphorn. Maybe that is easy too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom