Physical exam required to dive in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gogoasami

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I'm a pretty new diver (OW certified Feb 2005, AOW certified June 2005) and a newbie ScubaBoard member. I have been searching for a while for a post on my question but can't seem to locate it -- must be doing something wrong. So I apologize in advance as I am sure someone has already asked this.

I am planning a 3 week trip to Thailand and hope to dive on the Gulf side. Do I need a doctor's signature on a physical exam for this? Is there a form I can download from somewhere that I can have a physician sign off on? I am 35 years old and in good health, with no pre-existing conditions which may disqualify me as a diver. I remember I had to have a doctor's signature for my OW checkout dives, but don't know if I need one for each dive trip.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Asami

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I think there's a doctor's signature or medical waiver on the Open Water paperwork for most agencies... but not usually on much else.

Pretty sure it's not something Thailand's government is going to be asking for... never heard of that.

-Brandon.

Hi Asami,

You can dive as much as you like in the land of smiles as long as you are a certified diver and bring your certification card(s). If you plan to do any PADI dive courses in Thailand you will be required to fill out a medical statement. If you answer any of the questions on the medical statement with a "yes" you'll need to see a physician before you can enroll in the course.

Visit the Andaman Sea (West Coast of South Thailand) if you can; some of Thailand's best and diverse diving can be found there.

Welcome to the board. I have never heard of needing a medical release to dive. You may have to sign a released for a particular op, but I don't think you will need a signed medical release from you doctor. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.... Just have fun on your trip.

:wavey: Welcome to the
logo.gif
!

Hope you find your information okay here. Try our geographic forums.

:bandit_2: don

gogoasami:
Hello all,

I'm a pretty new diver (OW certified Feb 2005, AOW certified June 2005) and a newbie ScubaBoard member. I have been searching for a while for a post on my question but can't seem to locate it -- must be doing something wrong. So I apologize in advance as I am sure someone has already asked this.

I am planning a 3 week trip to Thailand and hope to dive on the Gulf side. Do I need a doctor's signature on a physical exam for this? Is there a form I can download from somewhere that I can have a physician sign off on? I am 35 years old and in good health, with no pre-existing conditions which may disqualify me as a diver. I remember I had to have a doctor's signature for my OW checkout dives, but don't know if I need one for each dive trip.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Asami
You'll be fine. No need for an exam, just bring your card although I'm not sure every shop will even check for that.

You might also think about getting Lonely Planet's guide to diving Thailand, which describes many dive sites.

Hi
I've dove several parts of Thailand, 6 times in the last 3 years, most recently last week.

As other posters have said, no gov. requirement for any kind of exam. If you need an exam for a PADI course, your dive op will probable have a local Doc that can sign off on you for 5 to 10 bucks. (I've done that in the past).

Have fun diving.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom