Physical fitness and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually I go to the gym 10 times a month on average, and lift weights. Makes a big difference in carrying heavy gear on difficult shore entries, and in other aspects of my life.

Better shape = better diving. I don't think there's a particular minimum level of fitness, or a maximum beyond which it doesn't matter any more.
Agree. A big factor I don't believe mentioned yet is type of diving you do. At some sites you'd have to be in great shape, others hardly at all. You can die of a heart attack just walking or even sitting down. Also, what kind of dives you do IF you're diving with a buddy who could be affected.

I definitely agree the fitness is taken too lightly by many. One of the things I always recommend to my clients is to become more active in recreational activities so that they can prepare themselves. You never know or can predict what can happen when underwater in many situations. You may run into a situation where it may depend on life or death on what kind of shape you are in physically. When in the water, always expect the unexpected.

A big factor I don't believe mentioned yet is type of diving you do... Also, what kind of dives you do IF you're diving with a buddy who could be affected.

Very true. We do a lot of shore diving here from beaches or rocky shores with entries and exits through surf. Frequently it also requires dragging a stumbling buddy out too. I have found this kind of diving to be physically taxing, even for relatively young and fit divers.

Just stepping off a boat is totally different. The hardest part of that is carrying the tanks down to the dock.

Back
Top Bottom