physiology Q2> acid reflux / stomach upset while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then there is your weight. As overweight people have more reflux than thin people. So if your a bit overweight you might think about loosing some...

Try taking antacids right before diving and see if that fixes the problem. Works well for me and I hate it when I forget! If it does, great; if not, then you ruled that out - cheap & easy exercise.

There is some literature that documents increased pressure in the esophagus with immersion in an upright position.

Influence of Full-body Water Imme... [J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
Gastroesophageal dynamics during immersion in... [J Appl Physiol. 1975] - PubMed - NCBI

Best regards,
DDM
And even worse horizontally, right - more so if the diver gets his head below his body to look at something? Gravity is still in play even while floating.

Salt, I think that the burping is related to air swallowing which in turn may be due to unrecognized anxiety. What you described earlier suggested acid reflux. At depth, the amount of air in your stomach should decrease in volume, not increase.
In any case, if you take an over the counter, Proton Pump Inhibitor, it should decrease the acid level in your stomach and decrease the symptoms.
:thumb: Couldn't the burping possible come from excessive acid?

Do you ever get heartburn on land or while laying in bed?
Good question...!! :cool:

Try taking antacids right before diving and see if that fixes the problem. Works well for me and I hate it when I forget! If it does, great; if not, then you ruled that out - cheap & easy exercise.

+1

I always keep some Rennie/Mylanta/Quikeze in my dive bag

Back
Top Bottom