Picsio image quality question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mistressmotorsports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a Picsio package last week based on some sample videos and reviews here and other places. I've only tried it above water so far, but I seem to be getting image quality substantially worse than what I have seen. I did double check to be sure I had the unit set to HD 1080, which I did. I'll have to post a link to some video later since I can't link to youtube from work. One thing I didn't do was to put the little filter thing around the USB cable when uploading. Can omitting that filter be causing that kind of degradation? Any other suggestions? If I can't get better video, this toy is going back. However, I think I am probably just doing something wrong since there are lots of posted videos on the net with more than acceptable quality. Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Try 720p, it is 60 fps which would show less jitter underwater anyways.

Could be complicated by low light conditions - my similar Kodak Zi8 kicks down in quality when set to HD, if there's not enough light. You should be able to look at some of the file metadata to see what the actual recording speed was. It's worth a check. Also, maybe a $100 digicam won't be artifact-free when there's quick motion in the shot. My U/W videos are not without the ocassional hiccup, but overall I love it. Lastly, it sounds like your complaints are a little different, but I've found with mine that uneven playback speed of downloaded vids is the PC/player, not the camera. When I play the vids out of the camera itself, they look fine. I'm on a slow wireless connection so I couldn't get a good look at your vid.

Well, Imessed around with it a little tonight. Changed it to 720P and confirmed from the metadata that I was getting 59 fps vs 30 when I had it on 1080. Used the filter on the usb cable that came with the camera. What I noticed was that when not zoomed in at all, the video looked ok. But, whenever I zoomed just a little, the picture got very grainy right away. I also noticed it takes a loooooong time for the camera to correct if you pan from low to more light. Everything in the lit area stays very red/orange for about 30 seconds. All this was done indoors, but with lots of lights on, except when I tried the dark to ligh thing, of course, I suppose I will try it outside in the sun tomorrow, but I still think that any hd camera should be able to deal with normal indoor lighting.

The graininess could be low light, but your Picsio is probably fixed-focus, so zooming in also means blowing up fewer pixels, not telescoping in optically. But 30 seconds is a LONG time!! Could be a bad unit. Hopefully someone who knows this device will chime in. There are other options like the Picsio, but they all have weaknesses from what I've read. I get what I consider great land, indoor, and U/W video - compared to my old inexpensive standard def handicam - even in low light, with the $85 Zi8, but the 30" minimum focal distance is a limitation.

Well, brighter light definitely helps. Here are are few seconds I shot outside today in super bright sunlight. Clear as can be without zooming. Still grainy when zoomed, especially if shooting into shadows. One of the reasons I picked this camera over a go-pro was because you could zoom it. Does anyone who owns one of these have better results, or is this all this camera can do? If I have to keep the camera un-zommed all the time, I might as well save some money and go with the go-pro. Or, spend more and ge a better system.

YouTube - ‪PIC 0010‬‏

Well, at the suggestion of the place where I bought the camera, I took it to Turks and Caicos for a week to see how it did underwater. Ok, it wasn't their suggestion to go to T&C, that was my idea, but they suggested I keep the camera until I had a chance to work with it underwater. It actually did quite well. You can see that the really light areas are blown out, but mostly it did ok for a fairly inexpensive camera. In fact, based on some of the close up stuff, I'm actually a little sad I didn't try to shoot more small stuff like the tiny purple shrimp at a cleaning station. I used the red filter on all the underwater stuff, so some of the closeups with the video light are a little too red, but that's my fault, not the camera's.

Anyway, here is the video. It's a little long, but there are lots of sharks at the end.

YouTube - ‪T&C Diving‬‏

Mike

...Changed it to 720P [...]. What I noticed was that when not zoomed in at all, the video looked ok. But, whenever I zoomed just a little, the picture got very grainy right away. [...] All this was done indoors, but with lots of lights on, except when I tried the dark to ligh thing, of course

Just looking at the specs for your camera, three things to note: ONE, you have fixed focus; TWO, you have a aperture fixed at f2.8; and THREE, you have a digital, as opposed to an optical zoom.

To start with, the point of optimal focus is pre-set in your camera. It doesn't specify where that point is, but it's in some convenient middle range where the majority of video is taken, say six or eight feet away, for example. Things in more in front or more behind that point are increasingly less in focus, according to the "depth of field"--the range of what is crisply in focus in the image. With a aperture of f2.8 you have a fairly narrow depth of field when shooting. Search the terms "depth of field" for more info on why.

Now, because your aperture is fixed, exposure (how bright and dark the image is) is controlled through either shutter speed or gain, or both almost certainly for this camera. Let's focus on shutter for now. In low light (which I would classify the performance sample video on YouTube) likely your shutter speed might slow down to 1/30th of a second, perhaps less. With a slower shutter speed any movement in your hand or subject can cause blur.

Next, all of the above is exacerbated with a digital zoom. Digital zoom merely crops or "magnifies" the image that is being processed so that to you, it seems like you zoomed in, as with an optical zoom (think of a camera where the lens lengthens or shortens when you zoom). But it isn't. The image is essentially "scaled up" to appear zoomed in. But now that it's "magnified" you can notice the imperfections more easily. The result is that it makes things that are out of focus look more noticeably out of focus. This is in part why shooting at 720p makes the problem less evident. There is less resolution to notice what is and what is not in focus. Dropping down to 540p would probably make the blur seem even less objectionable. Try the three different resolutions out in similar low light circumstances to see for yourself.

So this explains why in your performance footage--low light, slow shutter speed, using digital zoom--you have a blurry image, while in your bright Turks footage (bright light, fast shutter speed, as far as I can tell, no digital zoom) you have a much crisper picture.

One last thing, regarding the grain. As I noted above, when in low light situations, since the camera cant allow more light in via the aperture (remember its fixed at f2.8) and let's assume the shutter speed is as low as it can go, the camera has only one more option to "brighten" the image: It electronically boosts the sensitivity of the sensor, which is called "gain". But while the camera is now more sensitive to light, it also produces more grain. As with the blur noted above, the digital zoom makes grain more evident by in effect making them bigger as it makes the entire picture bigger. The bigger the grain, the more noticeable it is.

I also noticed it takes a loooooong time for the camera to correct if you pan from low to more light. Everything in the lit area stays very red/orange for about 30 seconds. All this was done indoors, but with lots of lights on, except when I tried the dark to ligh thing.

This camera probably has a built in circuit to slowly adjust the auto white balance as color temperature changes. Presumably, it's to prevent very fast white balance changes to make them seem less objectionable.

Hope that helps.

Wow, thanks a LOT for the tech in that response! I definitely learned something. Basically, I do understand (even better now!) that this camera is just doing the best it can with its limited hardware. I was pretty happy with the underwater video. I will probably pick up something better for dry use, filming my daughters, etc. But to show my friends what fish I saw on each dive, this is a reasonable system for the money. Thanks again!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom