Pimp sofnolime canister, easier filling, how to do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made a "tap" from a 1" ball valve and an adapter screwed through a Sofno-lid. Works well.

I can vouch for this device, I've got the them. It does the job perfectly !

I prefer to decant into the smaller Sofnolime jerry containers that are easy to handle. Sofnolime sells 4.5kg (~10lb) containers that are much easier to travel with for long weekend trips and are light enough that it is not a pain to pour into a scrubber. I haven't seen these sold in the US but I took a few of them back from the UK. Pretty sure these smaller canisters are available in Europe.

You can use any smaller container, just don't use scented kitty litter containers! Ask me how I know that.. :cool:

The nice thing about decanting into a smaller container with a funnel is it helps sift through the dust when you pour into the smaller container.

View attachment 717766

Do the same. In France, Sofnolime in small containers is more expensive. Each year, I buy a 20 kg large one and transfer into smaller ones.

If you lack small containers, you can reuse empty and DRIED distilled water containers. No problem. I put mine open out in the sun in July : dry as the Sahara after an afternoon in the sun.

So long, I'm off to dive tomorrow. Be back in a week.

I know the exact weight of my scrubber fill, so if I'm doing an overnight trip I take a second or third fill in a large, heavy duty Ziploc bag. Saves space and works well for me.

I prefer to decant into the smaller Sofnolime jerry containers that are easy to handle. Sofnolime sells 4.5kg (~10lb) containers that are much easier to travel with for long weekend trips and are light enough that it is not a pain to pour into a scrubber. I haven't seen these sold in the US but I took a few of them back from the UK. Pretty sure these smaller canisters are available in Europe.

You can use any smaller container, just don't use scented kitty litter containers! Ask me how I know that.. :cool:

The nice thing about decanting into a smaller container with a funnel is it helps sift through the dust when you pour into the smaller container.

View attachment 717766
Yea...but now that you have a 3D printer, I see a Sorbpour in your near future. :wink:

Does anyone transfer sorb into a smaller airtight container you can just scoop from?
Yes,
I do that. Friend of mine was using spherasorb and got it in 10 lbs containers. Got a couple and I decant 2 fills for each container on a breezy day to get rid of dust and then I use those smaller containers (which you need to fill to the brim and then a bit more by shaking and tilting) in order to have two good fills) to fill my canister. Again with a breeze to further de-dust.

Can't seem to fine the original posts but I did download the pictures,,
It wasn't all that long ago

1.3 kg sorb.jpg
sorb dust cleaner 2.jpeg.jpg

I guess I've never really felt the need to go through an elaborate dust removal process. Are you guys getting kegs that are really that dusty? I always felt Intersorb was more dusty / less consistent than Sofnolime so I stopped using it. Although come to think of it, my last couple kegs of Sofnolime seemed to be dustier than I remember.

I just make sure that when I decant into a smaller container with a funnel I do it outside with a light breeze. Gravity and wind seem to take care of the rest. Not knocking the dust removal solutions I am just wondering if it's a solution looking for a problem.

I guess I've never really felt the need to go through an elaborate dust removal process.
Yeah, when I pack or package indoors, there's always at least one moment when I cough.

I have a very very similar dust removal system. Mine is a brush sleeve with a shop vac pulling up through a Y cleanout. Works wonderfully for indoors packing.
Got a pic? Having a little trouble visualizing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom