Pimp sofnolime canister, easier filling, how to do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not suggesting using that food dispenser design (or the sorb pour) to store sorb long term, neither seal well enough. Without an air-tight seal the sorb WILL (slowly) scrub the air in your house and use itself up. These gadgets should only be used temporarily while dispensing. At some point I might get around to designing a printable version that works like the food dispenser but fits kegs like the sorb pour. If I do I'll post the file on SB.

Thanks! That would mean holding roughly 30# out of 45 in a full keg. I was thinking that a 2.5 gallon jug doesn't seem THAT much smaller than the original keg. Your estimate plus the pictures seems to confirm that.

Somebody posted a link to a 2.5 gallon jug on Amazon, but I also found similar 1 gallon jugs for half the price. I was thinking that 1 gallon looks like a lot better size - for me, anyway. I think a 1 gallon would hold 1 - 2 scrubberfuls of sorb. So, 1 x 1 gallon would be plenty to get me through a 3 or 4 day weekend of diving (presuming I started with that plus a full scrubber in my unit). And 2 x 1 gallon would probably get me through a whole week.

No need to be that formal about it. I was just looking for a rough idea and I have it now. :)

I'm ordering this 2-pack of 1 gallon jugs.

Did you end up buying these? If so, how much sorb can you fit in it?

Whilst I love the idea of fancy 3d printed/repurposed dispensing 'things' as much as anyone :), I've found the easiest for me to just decant from a big tub into 5 litre containers and fill from them. Really simple and easy to transport/use.

Did you end up buying these? If so, how much sorb can you fit in it?

I did get them. I have not used one yet. I will report back when I have a chance to try it.

I did get them. I have not used one yet. I will report back when I have a chance to try it.

I pulled the trigger on them. I’ll update later on with how much sorb they can hold.

Since I have cats and already use lots of kitty litter, I just bought a brand that came in plastic jugs. I can get almost half a keg in a jug. I have 3 jugs but one is almost always empty. Easy to fill, carry, transport. Big plus is that it did not cost me anything extra to get them.

Since I have cats and already use lots of kitty litter, I just bought a brand that came in plastic jugs. I can get almost half a keg in a jug. I have 3 jugs but one is almost always empty. Easy to fill, carry, transport. Big plus is that it did not cost me anything extra to get them.
Be careful to not fill your scrubber with litter 🙈

I also use a Kitty Litter jug to pour sorb. I took a small 5lb jug and left the handle on top and cut out the rest of the top section. I filled my sorb canisters to the proper levels and dumped them in the kitty litter jug, then used a sharpie to draw a line inside to mark the proper level for future fills. Now I just put the big 44lbs sorb jugs on a small stool or platform and tilt it over to fill the kitty litter jug. I get the perfect amount for the fill with a lot more ease and accuracy.

I pulled the trigger on them. I’ll update later on with how much sorb they can hold.

As a follow up, they hold a little over 7lbs so sorb. Might be able to fit another lb in there if you compact it and fill it to the brim.

I found a Sorb Pour for sale used on the internet. Works great. When filling is complete I simply cap the keg of sorb and store until next time. Problems solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom