Pimp sofnolime canister, easier filling, how to do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uline sells small jericans which are good for weekend or multi day trips.

The sorb pour, though cool, is overengineered and prone to jamming up. Though your mileage may vary

The mechanism used in a grocery store bulk food dispenser would be ideal.
P3552__43629.1579287472.jpg

Anybody know off the top of their head how many pounds of sorb fit in one of those 2.5 gallon jugs?

Or, alternatively, how many times you can fill a 6# scrubber, starting with a full 2.5 gallon jug?

The sorb pour, though cool, is overengineered and prone to jamming up. Though your mileage may vary

The mechanism used in a grocery store bulk food dispenser would be ideal.
P3552__43629.1579287472.jpg

I had found a couple cereal dispensers like hotels use. They looked like they would work well but are not air tight.

Has anyone determined how air tight it needs to be stored? Like if its sitting in my climate/humidity controlled house, how long can the cap be left off before issues?

Anybody know off the top of their head how many pounds of sorb fit in one of those 2.5 gallon jugs?

Or, alternatively, how many times you can fill a 6# scrubber, starting with a full 2.5 gallon jug?

I haven’t filled it to the brim but I would guess more than 5 packs

I always thought the standard 20kg keg was pretty close to 5 gallons. Someone with an empty keg and a milk jug could prove me right or wrong. It would take me awhile to getting around to do that test myself

I haven’t filled it to the brim but I would guess more than 5 packs

Thanks! That would mean holding roughly 30# out of 45 in a full keg. I was thinking that a 2.5 gallon jug doesn't seem THAT much smaller than the original keg. Your estimate plus the pictures seems to confirm that.

Somebody posted a link to a 2.5 gallon jug on Amazon, but I also found similar 1 gallon jugs for half the price. I was thinking that 1 gallon looks like a lot better size - for me, anyway. I think a 1 gallon would hold 1 - 2 scrubberfuls of sorb. So, 1 x 1 gallon would be plenty to get me through a 3 or 4 day weekend of diving (presuming I started with that plus a full scrubber in my unit). And 2 x 1 gallon would probably get me through a whole week.

I always thought the standard 20kg keg was pretty close to 5 gallons. Someone with an empty keg and a milk jug could prove me right or wrong. It would take me awhile to getting around to do that test myself

No need to be that formal about it. I was just looking for a rough idea and I have it now. :)

I'm ordering this 2-pack of 1 gallon jugs.

Back
Top Bottom