Pin Spanner Wrenches???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These things are very common in the car repair field. I've got mine from an automotive tool shop for about $10; take your reg along for size.
They are? You won't find one on a Snap-on tool truck. In 23 years in the automotive field I have never seen one of regulator size used on anything I have had to disassemble related to automotive repair. Bigger ones are used for things like coil over adjustment though.

I do have a couple for working on regulators though. Even built one from a pair of Craftsman pliers.

Plenty of links supplied above on where to get them. I bought the last one from Scuba Tools myself.

Make your own. When I started diving in 1971 my dad made one for me. He took a piece of flat metal (3/8 " thick, long enough and wide enough) drilled two holes for the pins the correct distance apart and inserted pins (nails) and trimed them to the appropriate pin depth. I still use it 39 years later.

Simple, cheap, very effective and you can make any span you want. Wood would work also, but doubt it would last as long.

You won't find one on a Snap-on tool truck

Yeah you will APS351B, Wrench, Spanner, Adjustable Pin, 3/4" to 2" capacity, 6 3/8"

And since some people are a bit confused, this is what we're talking about:

amf54924.jpg

Not this:

72323769.jpg

You may want to consider buying two of the appropriately sized pin spanner wrenches.

Indeed. Just learned that the hard way about 15 minutes ago.

And while you're at it, when you get socket wrenches, take the deepest you can find - a couple of mine were too short...

And maybe brass o-ring picks won't scratch the regulator, but they're soft as a wet noodle...

Good thing I don't need that regulator tomorrow!

... In 23 years in the automotive field I have never seen one of regulator size used on anything I have had to disassemble related to automotive repair...

It depends on how deep you dig into the guts of your car: they're used for bearings among others.
Actually, the one I use is a "hook" spanner, like the ones here. It has a more positive engagement, and I've yet to scratch anything.

Open and closerupperers for less than ten bucks.

P10100571.JPG

And one with a divit for an air 1 cap, and a hone for a Mk 2.

Knowone....I like your DIY assortment, especially the hone.

My Snap-on man had a hinged pin spanner, but it was so expensive I passed on it and ordered the Scuba Tools muti-wrench or whatever it's called. I know it's not high quality, but it gets the job done. The next time I out looking for tools, I'll bring a reg with me to the auto parts store and if the price is right I'll get one.

Before I got the mulit tool, I used a set of strap wrenches with limited success.

Last edited:
Does the multitool have the spanner built into it? I was thinking of getting that one to work on my MK10s and G250s, R190 and AIR2. Thanks for any information...

Lee

The Scubatools Multi-Tool has 2 pin spanners they call "Cap wrenches" to deal with the caps, 2 face spanners they call "Pin spanners" for the seat retainers, and 2 "Spline wrenches" for the hose. That's it, and that's enough for your regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom