Pinnacle, Block Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrm407

Registered
Reaction score
I am fairly new to diving. Got certified last year and have about 10 dives under my belt. I have an opportunity to dive the pinnacle off Block Island. My question is; is this a dive that is appropriate for my skill level?

I have not dived that site, but my guess would be no. From a charter boat web site:
Block Island Pinnacle Giant glacial boulders. Abundant marine life. Currents can run strong. Intermediate to advanced.

I'm not sure where you are located, but a good place to get some experience is at Ft. Wetherill in Jamestown, RI. You can experience some of the challenges of NE diving in a protected cove.

Good luck and safe diving.

Sharky1948:
I have not dived that site, but my guess would be no. From a charter boat web site:
Block Island Pinnacle Giant glacial boulders. Abundant marine life. Currents can run strong. Intermediate to advanced.

I'm not sure where you are located, but a good place to get some experience is at Ft. Wetherill in Jamestown, RI. You can experience some of the challenges of NE diving in a protected cove.

Good luck and safe diving.

Having done that dive, I'd say that the quoted response is perfect. The Pinnacles are a nice dive, but it can be easy to get disoriented leaving one searching for the anchor if a line was not run. Not finding the anchor will leave no choice but for a free ascent. With experience in doing so and also blowing a bag it's no big deal, but faced with doing it for the first time in a stressful situation is not a good thing.

I am planning to dive pinnacle next week. Can anyone help me with exact location, so I dont have to burn to much gas looking for it.

Thank You

41°07'40.022"N 71°34'03.734"W for google searches

Sounds like you are from New England area? It is easier to drive north an hour or two, to a lesser current dive spot, than to swim for your life in a power current.
BTW, the Bay State Treasure Hunt and Picnic held in Stage Fort Park, might be an oppportunity to talk to lots of Divers about lots of different locations. I’ll be serving up food, not diving, but I’m bring a notebook to take notes on new opportunities.

There are a couple of other area shore dives around Newport. King's Beach and Green Bridge -- long protected surface swim to get to any depth.
Only been there once 12 years ago. Don't know who you'd ask for tips as the shop in the area is now gone, to my knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom