Pipin Ferreras - Freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I felt sick the first time I read that SI when it came out. All you have to know about this guy is the number of times he's been bent on scuba (too many to count).

His idea of saftey is praying to the gods, not basic protocols. I feel bad for his saftey divers, although I heard now he is letting using He mixes below 200'.

After reading the SI article, I'm now more critical than I was before. I agree with Mass-Diver that there is a lot more that could have been done. The judgement of safety divers is imparitive, and learning that they were at great depth on air shows that their abilities were probably compromised too. I'm wondering why it is that the Pipen was the one in charge, rather than the sanctioning body? It seems that these standards should come from the sancitioning body, and should be the same for every dive. I think the answer may be that Pipen is intimately involved in the sanctioning body too, and perhaps is too close to it (if my assumption is that the International Freediving Association is Pipen's creation is correct).

SeaRat

I THINK he created his own agency because the other ones would not recognize his records because of his refusal to follow saftey protocols. And again - he admits there was no standard procedure in place for what would happen if the bag did not inflate. He chooses to put his faith in god and not common sense - which is fine for him, it's just sad his wife and a saftey diver had to die.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom