Piston or Diaphragm regulator?

What type of first stage do you use most?

• Piston

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Diaphragm

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What general type of regulator (first stage) do you use? Piston or diaphram? If you made the choice based on type enter a comment why! If you use both, then when and why?

Last edited:
I use both. Since I dive primarily in cold water, I use diaphragm regulators for my primary and back-up regulators for their superior resistance to freeze-ups. I use unpalanced piston regulators for my stage/deco bottles because they are simple, easy to service and more reliable. My traveling (tropical) regulator is a flow-through piston design that I chose for a combination of reliance, simplicity of design and high performance.

I like the simplicity of the piston regulator built by Sherwood. If I was really motivated I could service it myself. Also with the dry air chamber design, as long as it is turned on, it will not have any wet internal parts.

Diaphragm (7 of them) currently. But I'd be just as happy with a good balanced piston for my local diving (Hawaii). I like the fact that the diaphragm design makes setting IP incredibly simple.

Now you need a poll on "balanced" vs "unbalanced" 2nd stages :D My vote: Simple classic-downstream unbalanced 2nd's :D

Best wishes.

I use both, usually I use MK25 (piston) for my double tanks reg, I find then equivalent in performance to the MK17 (sealed diaphragm), but it is better IMO for hose routing. Exception is made when diving cold waters, then a sealed reg would be recommended, so in this case I use the MK17 for my doubles also. Second stage is always S600 for primary and backup.

In the stage bottles always MK17 / S555, because for stages, there is no big issue about hose routing in stages, so I keep the MK17, that are good for both warm and cold water.

I dive SP Mk 25 w/ G250V 2nd. If i dive up north in colder water id use the MK17. Mk25/S600 is ANU
down to 38deg.

I have a diaphram first stage (Scubapro MK11). Whether it was diaphragm or piston made no impact on my decision to buy it. Have had no troubles with it at all after nearly 200 dives. About to take it in for a service so I'll see how that goes...

Use both...................

Environmentally sealed was the wording I was looking for when buying a reg for local cold water diving..........

I believe that by definition that means a diaphragm regulator (am I wrong?).........

M

Thanks.................

Can you give me an example of a environmentally sealed piston first stage?

M

Back
Top Bottom