Piston or Diaphragm regulator?

What type of first stage do you use most?

• Piston

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Diaphragm

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you give me an example of a environmentally sealed piston first stage?

Sherwood first stages, with their constant bleeds, are environmentally sealed pistons.

Thanks for the clarification..........

I guess I understood an 'environmental seal" to be a barrier system not grease or air......

The Scuba marketing hype I guess...............:)

When I had cold water free flows with my SP MK25 the LDS did not talk about using grease...........

I ended up with a Poseidon Xstreem and have had no issues and it is not sealed......

For example.....from the Zeagle website.............

Environmental Sealing it's not just for Ice Diving! Regulators used in water temperatures below 50Ž° F (10Ž° C) do run the risk of ice formation in the first stage due to the cooling caused by the rapid expansion of air from the tank. This risk increases as breathing rate increases. To prevent freezing from occurring, it is necessary to exclude water from the first stage mechanism. Many of the methods that have been used to do this, such as packing grease around the piston in piston designs, various air bleeds, and add on devices, are messy, subject to contamination, or unreliable. Zeagle uses a simple "dry sealed" design that requires absolutely no attention from the user.

Thanks again............M

We prefer balanced piston first stages (Scubapro & Sherwood) and balanced second stages.

We don't dive cold, murky waters.

We have tried some balanced diaphragm regs (AL Titan, Scubapro MK18) but they were not as 'smooth' IMO in air delivery.

Higher end diaphragm design first stages would likely be as smooth, we just haven't used them.

i use both. My AL Legend is a sealed diaphram. A solid performer in the coldest of waters.
My Sherwood magnum is a piston w/the dry bleed, in effect an enviro seal.

I will agree with what was said that a good piston is a smoother breather than a diaphram. For reliability, ease of breath and performance my magnum is second to none. breathes nicer than my AL legend at half the price. go figure.

Sealed cold-water diaphragm apparently..
I actually just bought a reg recommended to me by someone with extensive experience diving in the conditions we have around here when I got it and havent regretted it in the slightest.

Since i live in Jersey and 99% of my dives will be in cold type waters. I went with the ScubaPro MK17/G250V I liked that it was Enviro Sealed and Has the Dry Chamber to keep the bad stuff out

i use both, i like the flow thru piston design of the scubapro MK25 (others are similar) for superior hose routing, and use zeagle ds-V environmentally sealed on the left post or for cold water or scraping hulls (the crap gets into the scubapro). best of both worlds. use a oms piston for O2 bottles, and another zeagle for other stage bottles. also have a coupla DR pistons on the rebreather, simple to service.

Ultmately, for rec diving in good conditions, it doesnt matter which one you go with.

i use both, i like the flow thru piston design of the scubapro MK25 (others are similar) for superior hose routing, and use zeagle ds-V environmentally sealed on the left post or for cold water or scraping hulls (the crap gets into the scubapro). best of both worlds. use a oms piston for O2 bottles, and another zeagle for other stage bottles. also have a coupla DR pistons on the rebreather, simple to service.

Ultmately, for rec diving in good conditions, it doesnt matter which one you go with.
Hey, me diving in 33f water doesnt mean its not rec or good conditions (its actually generally way BETTER conditions than when the water here is in the 60s), it just mean its cold.. And then your regs and how you handle them will matter..

Warm water diver, I like my piston reg (Oceanic). Breathes well and I appreciate the feedback of a little more difficult breathing as you're getting near the end of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom