Place to stay for cenote diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Cancun in July for a cousins wedding and staying at Dreams. My husband has a work trip the weekend everyone is heading down, so he'll be joining us a couple of days late. I am thinking of changing my ticket and flying down on a Friday night so I have all day Saturday and Sunday to do some cave diving (I'm cave certified). Can anyone recommend a cheap place to stay for a couple of nights that would be convenient for doing some diving in the cenotes? Also, would I need to rent a car?

I don't know what your definition is cheap is, but I'd recommend talking to Debbie at Dive Aventuras about lodging. Puerto Aventuras is very convenient to the fill station, and to Aquanauts, which rents doubles (as does Zero Gravity, which is also very close). One of our party there at the beginning of May was renting a single unit through her, and I don't know what he was paying, but he was thrilled with his place, as we were with ours -- We had an ENORMOUS 2 brdm/2 bath condo, which could easily have held 6, for $210 a night. There were four of us, so that works out to $50 a night per person, which is in my definition of cheap.

You WILL need a car, unless you hire a guide. The cave diving sites are spread out over an area from about PA to south of Tulum (Tulum is about 30 minutes from PA.)

I'll be in Cancun in July for a cousins wedding and staying at Dreams. My husband has a work trip the weekend everyone is heading down, so he'll be joining us a couple of days late. I am thinking of changing my ticket and flying down on a Friday night so I have all day Saturday and Sunday to do some cave diving (I'm cave certified). Can anyone recommend a cheap place to stay for a couple of nights that would be convenient for doing some diving in the cenotes? Also, would I need to rent a car?

Do you have a buddy? Have you been to the Akumal area before? If not, you will most definately need a guide. Most of the sites are not easy to get in to, or find if you don't have a guide. If you just plan to dive Dos Ojos or Grand Cenote, you shouldn't have a problem....any other sites it behooves you to have a guide.

The line system in Mexico is SIGNIFICANTLY different from NFL.

Do you have a buddy? Have you been to the Akumal area before? If not, you will most definately need a guide. Most of the sites are not easy to get in to, or find if you don't have a guide. If you just plan to dive Dos Ojos or Grand Cenote, you shouldn't have a problem....any other sites it behooves you to have a guide.

The line system in Mexico is SIGNIFICANTLY different from NFL.

I've been to the area 3 times in the last 3 years, but this will be my first time since finishing up my cave training. I've stayed on Cozumel and in Akumal. I won't have a buddy with me since my husband is an ow diver only. I will be hiring a guide at the very least for the first weekend I'm down there--after that I'll be joining the rest of my family at Dreams, so I'll be a little more limited in what I can do. I'd prefer not to be limited to only Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote, even though I'd like to see them too.

I've been to the area 3 times in the last 3 years, but this will be my first time since finishing up my cave training. I've stayed on Cozumel and in Akumal. I won't have a buddy with me since my husband is an ow diver only. I will be hiring a guide at the very least for the first weekend I'm down there--after that I'll be joining the rest of my family at Dreams, so I'll be a little more limited in what I can do. I'd prefer not to be limited to only Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote, even though I'd like to see them too.

Lena at Aquatech/Villa DeRosa in Aventuras Akumal is very good. You can reach her through www.cenotes.com. There is an 800 number on their site as well.

If you ever plan to go down for a week at a time with your husband doing OW stuff, I highly recommend Connie LoRe as your guide. She runs a very good trip and knows the systems well. She is very connected with the landowners in the area too. If you are odd man (woman) out in the group, you'll be her buddy. She can also arrange for OW diving for your husband. You can contact Connie through her website.... www.cavedivemexico.com

My husband did two days of guided cave diving with Dennis Weeks from Aquanauts. (He's Pez de Diablo here on SB.) Peter liked him enormously, and got to see some very nice cave. Dennis's shop is located in Puerto Aventuras, which is where I recommended you stay, which makes it VERY convenient, as he can pick you up there to go diving. In that case, you might not have to rent a car.

My husband did two days of guided cave diving with Dennis Weeks from Aquanauts. (He's Pez de Diablo here on SB.) Peter liked him enormously, and got to see some very nice cave. Dennis's shop is located in Puerto Aventuras, which is where I recommended you stay, which makes it VERY convenient, as he can pick you up there to go diving. In that case, you might not have to rent a car.

I dove with Dennis last year--he's the one who introduced me to the addiction that is the caves, so I'd definitely like to dive with him again---I sent him an email for more info :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom