Places one is "allowed" to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EiderDown

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, 1st post, just got certified earlier this month (Aug).

The advice is to dive often now & get experience. I had assumed (naively, apparently) that the many small lakes & other water features nearby would give me places to practice, even if visibility & other factors weren't ideal.

When I asked others where to go, every place suggested is at least 2 hours away, which will lessen the frequency I might get to go. I would then ask "Can't we dive such n such lake?" the answer would either be "They won't let you" or "I don't know."

I then checked out websites for some of the places (state parks, local parks, etc) and none of them specify scuba diving as legal or allowed or whatever phrase is appropriate.

I know that my certification is by an agency, and is not a legal permit, but I'd think it would allow me to dive anywhere the public is allowed.

Finally, the question: What are the legal limits of diving, starting with national parks, state parks (NY, in my case) and local levels? Can the guy at the lake really stop me?

Obviously, if anyone who lives in or near the Southern Tier of NY (Binghamton) can suggest a place nearby that they know can be dived, please do. I know about Dutch Springs (2 1/2 hrs) and the St. Lawrence (over 3 hrs)

Thank you in advance!

Ritchie

As long as you are at a public access I would not see a problem. You will probably be required to tow a Divers flag. Local property owners do not own the lake or immediate shoreline, that is public property.
As far as State parks go I would not see a problem either but call the Park number and ask.

I like the phrase, "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission." In this case, I would specifically apply it to things that are "open use" but don't specifically prohibit SCUBA. Don't look for places where it is specifically allowed, look for places where it isn't disallowed. Obviously consider things like boat traffic and don't go trespassing on private property, but I suspect there are plenty of places to dive near you. Whether they're worth the effort is entirely up to you but I think you'll find that's more of a reason people don't dive closer to you than whether or not it's actually prohibited.

I would think you can dive any most any public body of water unless specifically stated by a local ordinance. These guys might be worth looking up.

New York State Divers Association

You can also ask the dive shop you got certified with.

Can some guy at the lake really stop you? If you let him. Interesting question really as it is funny how we've become so timid, ( I see this with my wife, kids, family, friends, and even myself although I make it a point to resist the urge ) on how we feel we need to get "permission" to do the non-extraordinary. Are we allowed on the playground? Can we swim at this beach? Can I jog down this over grown path? Can I punish my kid in public? ect; ect; Social Sciences fascinate me!

BTW I'm from Western NY and I miss it some days sorely, your in a beautiful area, we are on our way to Watkins Glenn in a few weeks for my brothers wedding and I sorely want to go up to Niagra and do a drift dive or give it a go on one of the wrecks around their but since we haven't been home in two years I should probably spend my time with family..... sigh.....

Good luck and keep us posted as I'm interested in what kind of diving you find in that area of NY....

Jason

Hi, 1st post, just got certified earlier this month (Aug).

The advice is to dive often now & get experience. I had assumed (naively, apparently) that the many small lakes & other water features nearby would give me places to practice, even if visibility & other factors weren't ideal.

When I asked others where to go, every place suggested is at least 2 hours away, which will lessen the frequency I might get to go. I would then ask "Can't we dive such n such lake?" the answer would either be "They won't let you" or "I don't know."

I then checked out websites for some of the places (state parks, local parks, etc) and none of them specify scuba diving as legal or allowed or whatever phrase is appropriate.

Ritchie

On the other hand, Ritchie, there may be good, other reasons to not dive 'there'.

I said, why don't we dive Parker Canyon Lake? Answer: It's like diving in pea soup.

Well, not exactly -- you CAN see your fins most of the time . . . if you bend your knees.

Here is my experience in & around NYC: Long Island: VERY few places you can even park by the Sound/Ocean without local "town" parking permits, which you can't get if you don't live there. Orient Beach State Park--only with buddy.
Connecticut: State & County Parks permit it, but not where people are bathing/lifeguards, etc.--ironic, you pay to park which goes in part to pay lifeguards for your safety and they put you far from them. But you want to go by rocks anyway, not sand.
New Jersey: Badges sometimes needed to get on the beach. One place I could just walk to the water, submerge without dawdling. Parking can be nasty.

Dive flags generally required everywhere, which absolutely makes sense in most of these places.
I would imagine local rules would apply to parking, bathing and diving on the Southern Tier as well. It ain't Nova Scotia.

As a new diver and even as an experienced one be very careful diving new waters and do all you can to learn the characteristics of that site and area - including emergency planning. And dive with a buddy or buddies.

A 2 hour drive is common for us in central Ohio. The closest training site for basic OW (20' limit) is an hour from the LDS. The better sites for deeper dives and wrecks is 2+ hours away. The advantage of these sites is more people around to have fun with and learn from. A 2 hour drive for a day of 2-4 dives is not a bad deal. Take advantage of local dive clubs and groups of divers to find local dive opportunities.

I think it would be better to plan a good dive day or weekend wtih other divers for the experience and fun. Jumping in the local apartment complex pond is not a great idea. And some local sites that visually look interesting may harbor serious hazards, toxic wastes, current issues, overhead environments that could prove dangersou, etc.

But in the end - enjoy diving. It is a lifetime of fun.

I suggest you go to the appropriate forum here in ScubaBoard and seek some advice. You actually have a couple of choices. One is the general northestern United States forum. There you will find people in your area who can help.

Within that general forum are two more specific forums that can help you: Wreck Valley and Dive NY.

In each forum you will find other divers asking the same question and getting good responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom