Plane Wrecked for James Bond Film?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I visited the plane in 2000 doing the "resort course" with DWM and have been diving ever since. Yep, I saw the skeleton! I did the same dive last summer, could make out the shape of the wing root and engine mounts. There also was a tri? cat? -ermaran sunk nearby last year. One of my favorite dives ever!

Wow, I was there in the early-mid /90's and it was there and in decent shape. I was told at the time it was a 007 movie as well. Guess I was misinformed as well.

Just spoke with a guy on the airport shuttle last week and he mentioned it as well. Must be something there still resembling a plane since he mentioned it.

In the 80s it was a nice shallow "arrival" dive if you were staying nearby La Ceiba. It still looked like a plane then, although with every storm a bit less so. You only needed to grab a tank and jump off the end of the dock and you were there; easy place to check your buoyancy & set-up before heading out on the boats next day. It was also very popular with kids to snorkel and for training divers and new underwater photographers to practice on. (bet there are 100s of old film-photos of it gathering dust!)

On a night dive, it was a nice addition (and navigation point) on the triangular course from the shore to Cruise ship pier to LaCeiba's dock.

I think Roxanne finally did it in, now I've heard it really doesn't look like much more than a place somebody dumped some aluminum cookies sheets.

Yes, the plane WAS at El Cid La Ceiba. It's scraps now. I remember back when someone put a halloween skeleton inside it!!! Maybe around 1999 or 2000??? If you are desperate to see the remains, it's out very close to the "protected area floaters" in the water straight out from the walk-in steps near the volleyball beach area at the resort. Not worth the trouble to me......

Just stumbled across this doing research since we're going to Coz in March for the first time in about 7 years (2004?). Back then we had ferried over from Playa... it was my wife's first resort dive. There was a walk-in stepped area with the plane just about 100 feet or so off-shore. It looked in pretty decent shape then. We were also told it was purposely sunk for a movie, but not a James Bond one.

http://www.shipwreckexpo.com/tscozumelshipwrecks.htm

The plane was a Convair 240/340 that was sunk for the movie Survive II. A loose sequel to Survive, which was based on the story of the Soccer team that crashed in the Andes & the survivors resorted to cannibalism. I actually saw Survive II on TV several years back. In the movie, the plane crashed during a heavy storm at night. This is the type of plane:

KLM Convair 240 airliner, PH-TEC, on tarmac embarking luggage an.jpg

Mike

I saw it in August. A small piece of wing and what looked like the side of the cockpit (square windows). Directly under the rope for the swimming area at El Cid (la Cieba). Both pieces where on top of the sand and tied to concrete chunks with shiney new chains. Probably rubble from the pier reconstruction. Looks like only weeks old. Everything was clean and shiney. About 15 feet deep.

If you are at the hotel, swim straight out from the steps to the back rope. It will be just a little to the south. You can say you saw it. Otherwise don't bother.

In the 80s it was a nice shallow "arrival" dive if you were staying nearby La Ceiba. It still looked like a plane then, although with every storm a bit less so. You only needed to grab a tank and jump off the end of the dock and you were there; easy place to check your buoyancy & set-up before heading out on the boats next day. It was also very popular with kids to snorkel and for training divers and new underwater photographers to practice on. (bet there are 100s of old film-photos of it gathering dust!) On a night dive, it was a nice addition (and navigation point) on the triangular course from the shore to Cruise ship pier to LaCeiba's dock. I think Roxanne finally did it in, now I've heard it really doesn't look like much more than a place somebody dumped some aluminum cookies sheets.
Exactly. It was an easy first shore dive of your trip. There were always swarms of fish, and the "doorway" was used as a backdrop for countless photo albums. Cheez-Wiz cans were not yet shunned, and I remember seeing multiple feeding frenzies, on some dives. We'd stay at Sol Caribe, as it was called then, walk through the tunnel, and be right near the entry point, by La Ceiba. And Ernesto's Fajitas Factory (across the road) would always await, for a tasty lunch, and first cerveza of the day...

cozumelairplane.jpg

We dove it in 1979 (or maybe "80?) and it was a cool dive. I've heard there's not too much to see now. Time and storms have done their work on wrecks and on me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom