Planning a trip to Cozumel - Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about going to Cozumel this year. Flights don't look too bad. What shop and dive sites and places to stay would you guys recommend?

Caruso nailed it. Aldora diving and stay near town. They will take you to great dive sites. Excellent restaurants in town. Maybe rent a car a day or two and tour the island. Stay off mopeds. Nitrox cert comes in real handy on those long, long, drift dives.

I really liked my stay at El Cantil last May. It's awesome if you sleep in the bedrooms facing the water. The ones facing the street have all the birds making a HUGE racket at about 5:00 AM. It's a nice, short walk to town, and most of the dive shops will pick you up on the way to the marina. The downside to El Cantil (other than the loud birds) is the price.

Don't stay north of downtown, unless you plan on renting a car.

I kinda go against the grain with most commentators here. I’m not a big fan of CM or Aldora, they are just fine but not for me. I like staying at condos (lots to choose from) on the edge of town so I get the ‘laid back’ Mexico experience and don’t mind driving/taxi to town in the evening. I agree with most on avoiding the AI’s in Cozumel, much different than AI’s on the mainland b/c the Coz restaurants and ‘atmosphere’ has to be experienced. Tons of good dive ops, even the ones that are not mentioned on this board very often. Coz has a lot to offer but really depends on your preferences & vacation style.

Looking at your advatar (side mounts) i can assume you like technical diving.

Look at shops like deep exposure. They do technical diving to also include trimix.

I
Paradise condos south of town near the Money Bar rather than an AI resort because it's less expensive and you can enjoy eating at lots of great restaurants and get a true taste of the culture rather than stuffing yourself on all-you-can-eat resort food and watered down bar drinks.

Is there a pickup pier at the Paradise condos? Looks like it make the ride to the reef much shorter than coming from town.

We stayed at the Landmark last trip(GOT A SMOKING DEAL) and the cab fare to town was about 50 pesos. I would not mind the cab fare into town for dinner. Is there any place to eat onsite at the Paradise condos? We ate a few meals at the Money Bar when we did Landmark.

Joe

Is there a pickup pier at the Paradise condos? Looks like it make the ride to the reef much shorter than coming from town.

We stayed at the Landmark last trip(GOT A SMOKING DEAL) and the cab fare to town was about 50 pesos. I would not mind the cab fare into town for dinner. Is there any place to eat onsite at the Paradise condos? We ate a few meals at the Money Bar when we did Landmark.

Joe
You need to wade out to the boat or walk to Fiesta Americana and look like you belong.

Wading out is not a big deal.

Is there a pickup pier at the Paradise condos?

There is no pickup pier at Paradise Condos.

Two options (I don't know about Fiesta Americana other than it's closer to Paradise Condos than the Money Bar)

1- Walk about 10 minutes up the road to the Money Bar pier and they'll pick you up there. Of course if you've got gear it's not going to be fun and I don't see the point in doing it. Although if you want to stay dry and Aldora is holding your gear for you then I'd imagine it's not all that bad, and on the way back you can hang at the Money bar for a drink or eats or whatever. We didn't do that

2- Hang out on the lounge chairs on the beach at the condo and relax and look at the ocean while waiting for the Aldora boat, it could be 10-15 minutes sometimes more if they're running late. When you see the boat get yourself ready and wade out into 3-4 feet deep water, keeping anything you need dry above your head (or packed in a dry bag), hand your stuff to the friendly crewmember, and climb the ladder and hop into the boat. No big deal.

Attachments

• 2017_04_08_01 .JPG
    2017_04_08_01 .JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 33
Looking at your advatar (side mounts) i can assume you like technical diving.

Look at shops like deep exposure. They do technical diving to also include trimix.

I don't dive Trimix at least yet. All my dives are under 150'

Caruso nailed it. Aldora diving and stay near town. They will take you to great dive sites. Excellent restaurants in town. Maybe rent a car a day or two and tour the island. Stay off mopeds. Nitrox cert comes in real handy on those long, long, drift dives.

A lot of people are saying this. Why stay near town? I'm an explorer

Back
Top Bottom