planning a trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surelyshirly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to plan a trip to the PNW for diving next year....would love to see the octopus...and all the other things too...

can anyone give me some names or sights to check into? Would love a liveaboard so that I dont have to run from town to town, and tanks are an issue for me so renting is important .....

we have no particular dates we have to go......any guidance is appreciated

Thanks in advance for your help!!

If you're coming all the way out here from New Jersey, then I'd recommend checking out one of the "resorts" located on Vancouver Island ... you'll have a place to stay, and go out diving on their boat each day.

Some places worth checking into ...

Rendezvous Lodge, Barkley Sound ... diving on Vancouver Island, Canada, Barkley Sound, British Columbia, West coast

God's Pocket, Port Hardy ... God's Pocket Diving Resort

Abyssal Dive Charters, Quadra Island .... Quadra Island Diving Charters - Abyssal Tours and Accommodations in Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada

Hornby Island Diving, Hornby Island ... Hornby Island Diving - Home

You can't go wrong with any of them ... but they all have different types of diving to offer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry, shirly, I told you I was going to check into this stuff for you and, in the excitement of getting down to Mexico, I just forgot. But you just got the word from the person I was going to check with, anyway!

not a problem Lynne....knew you were busy when I read the thread....

should have asked on board from the get go.....so many people have been there and one that....

now have to narrow down to WHICH to do....we were talking about it tonite and its a long way to go not to try to get in as much variety as possible....

thank you both for your help

If you're coming all the way out here from New Jersey, then I'd recommend checking out one of the "resorts" located on Vancouver Island ... you'll have a place to stay, and go out diving on their boat each day.

God's Pocket, Port Hardy ... God's Pocket Diving Resort

Abyssal Dive Charters, Quadra Island .... Quadra Island Diving Charters - Abyssal Tours and Accommodations in Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada

You can't go wrong with any of them ... but they all have different types of diving to offer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've done Quadra twice with Abyssal. Very nice. My trip report and the underwater photo gallery to go with it.

But with that said, and money not a big concern, I'd pick God's Pocket, Port Hardy.

Thanks for all the info...one more question....is diving seasonal? like you generally see certain things in the spring or summer or is there a worst time of year to stay away from?

Early summer -- May, June, early July -- tends to have the worst visibility, because of the plankton blooms. Winter has better viz, except when it's wiped out by runoff from storms, but there is less to see. Early autumn seems to be the best bet for good viz, if you're a gambling person.

right now is about when the water starts getting colder. sept/oct is probably a good timeframe for warmer water and good viz.

viz is great in the san juans in january, but it'll be 45F in the water instead of 52-55F...

in winter you'll be wanting a drysuit, 400g thinsulate, synthetic wicking layering and argon (large bottle to do suit flushes with).

Giant octopus, six gill sharks...and I want to pet a wolf eel....I will enjoy this trip...thanks guys for your input...if you think of anything else I appreciate your help

I'm thinking Barkley Sound might be your cup of tea ... check into Rendezvous Lodge. You've got a good shot at six-gills, octos, and wolfies there.

Just keep in mind they're all wild animals ... and may not want to be petted ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom