Planning Bonaire Trip Late June as alternative to Blackbeards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you can dive, you'll have to attend an orientation, which dive shops typically schedule in the mornings. If you're staying at GRI, you'll have to check with them when they do their orientation.

Some folks have said that they've been limited to 2 tanks each, and I've heard that from people staying at various places. My husband and I always have 6 tanks in our truck and it's never been a problem for us (we like to do 3 dives before heading back to the condo for lunch).

GRI uses Wannadive

Wannadive will not limit the number of tanks you take.

But you really don't need more than three each. Two for diving and one in the event you have a bad o-ring in one of the first two!

GRI uses Wannadive

Wannadive will not limit the number of tanks you take.

But you really don't need more than three each. Two for diving and one in the event you have a bad o-ring in one of the first two!

Why don't you just carry spare "O" rings. They are really a lot lighter!

1) Can you dive the first day there, with 3:00 pm arrival?

2) How many tanks can you have out at once?

1. Delta? Not that likely to dive the first day. You have to do
a dive briefing, as well as just getting luggage, rental truck, find
your way to accommodation, etc. I've only used one operator, but
they do the briefing at something like 9am. With GRI, I think you
will be diving with Wannadive -- their web site says that they do the
briefing anytime during open hours,
Wannadive Bonaire - shoredive, boatdive, rental, a - Diving

2. Number of tanks may vary with vendor and how busy. We've
never had any problems getting two each (which is all we wanted),
and probably could have taken more at BDA. I have read of
other people being more limited at peak times, and I think once
when BDA was filling for another operator with a down compressor.

You'll probably miss the diving on the first day with a 1500 arrival. Until you get your luggage and to your hotel it will be after 4.

I usually use one of Buddy's remote shops. You can exchange tanks at any of their shops on the island and Bonaire really isn't that big. With that being said, if I'm going way up north I usually take at least three tanks a person and have never got any grief about it.

If memory serves, Wannadive has several shops on the island where you can do the same.

There is a SB group heading to Bonaire around that time. It was posted JUST today that the offer is now closed...but it wouldn't hurt to shoot them a PM to see if maybe you can get the same deal (especially, if you can find four to fill the Quad)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...ire-group-trip-620-00pp-less-july-3-10-a.html

A different SB group is doing the same trip/special next June, but I am guessing you don't want to wait that long.

From my research it's a pretty good deal, but not a "screaming deal" or anything. It is better than you would be able to get through Plaza's website. It's not quite as good as deals diverliz has posted on SB for GRI (but it's close)...and the reviews I've read on Plaza vs GRI, tend to favor Plaza, plus Plaza has it's own beach (if that matters to you). I believe GRI is a few blocks off the water. I've also read Liz is wonderful host, so it's really up to what you value more.

Buddy Dives seems to get the best reviews of the places I've heard mentioned here on SB (especially on sites such Trip Advisor) but they appear to be WAY more expensive than Plaza and GRI.

I've never been to Bonaire, so take this post for what it's worth. I've just been researching Bonaire non-stop for the past few days on SB, Bonaire Talk, Trip Advisor, etc, and this is a small portion of what I've come up with.

Thanks for all of the info..we opted out of the specials due to having to share vehicle. We are set to go with everything except my airline ticket...website messed up today...I am ready to dive.

This was an interesting trip to plan. As in the past with trips to Bahamas and Florida Keys, I browsed scuba board for all of the little secrets and info. The interesting feedback here was that there are these two huge contigincies on scubaboard about crime on bonaire. One that it was extremely bad and one that it was just petty crime and nothing to worry about. I know that there is crime on carribian islands, that is a given. Did I think twice about leaving $2000 of scuba gear in my room in bahamas? Nope...read no stories of room break ins on scubaboard...

Bonaire seems to be an island all its own...i am getting feedback to leave windows down and doors unlocked...why?? I am not stupid enough to leave valuables in a vehicle in a remote area, but I do see this as an absurd request. Just as absurd as leaving your hotel room windows and doors open while you are out..this is somewhat of a privacy issue...a vehicle, like a hotel room, or a house is a private area and should be respected as such..would any of you take your vehicle to downtown New York, Chicago, or New Orleans and leave your doors unlocked and windows down??? I think not...

So do I intend to leave windows down and doors unlocked?? No, I am paying insurance for the vehicle and if some local wants to bust a window to look at the inside of a rental truck, more power to him.

Heck, i have a good mind to wire up a wallet to a power inverter and give some would be thief 110 volts....have him dancing away from the dive site...

I agree. I hate the fact that their answer to crime is to just leave the car unlocked. It kind of pisses me off actually, that they choose to give this as a "fix" instead of addressing the problem of CRIME. But with that said, they obviously don't care enough to fix the problem, so I guess I'll be leaving the stupid car unlocked so that some hooligan doesn't break my windows to steal my mismatched flip flops and stick of gum :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom