Planning next trip - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grafphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I are trying to pick our next warm water dive destination and looking for some suggestions. Our previously visited desinations consist of;

Florida Keys
Fiji
Honduras 2x
Cayman Brac
Bonaire 2x
Galapagos
South Carolina

Looking for a good place for photography, particularly of larger species. We are both experienced (300+ dives each). Despite going to Galapagos, we didn't have much luck with whale sharks or hammerheads as far as good photo ops. So I still have a craving for big critters. Manta Rays would be a big plus.

Would like to keep the trip in the $1500 range per person - so I am thinking limited to the Caribbean or Pacific coastline of North America - but would like something a bit different than Bonaire (ie. larger fish life).
We tend to like the less touristy locales also - comfortable but secluded.

There are so many places to pick from - so I thought I'd do a little fishing here. :wink:

I haven't been there, but what about the Bahamas? It sounds like getting to the south pacific would be tough on that budget, but you could do lots of sharks and if lucky some dolphins in the Bahamas. Turks and Caicos might be another good option...

grafphoto:
My wife and I are trying to pick our next warm water dive destination and looking for some suggestions.
I still have a craving for big critters. Manta Rays would be a big plus.
Would like to keep the trip in the $1500 range per We tend to like the less touristy locales also - comfortable but secluded.QUOTE]

In my top 5 list of the Caribbean is Tobago.

Book a reoom at the Blue Waters Inn, drive there to Speyside with a rental Jeep, dive with Red Man of Red M Dive in Speyside. August is my time for mantas. RedMan ought to be able to locate them for you. Hire him for the entire week and he'll die trying.

Otherwise at that price, your options are pretty limited. The Caribbean has lots to offer, many sites unvisited by most divers. Look at NE Grenada, Los Roques and Cisne... all but impossible to get diving at, but...

Lots of big critters at other places, but Yap, Palau and Maldives are a few more dollars away.

Roatanman,

Thinking about a last minute trip myself and seeing as how you made the suggestion of Tobago...mind if I pick your brain a little?

-How is it during July? (I've heard stories of very bad viz)
-How is the Peter Hughes boat that operates there?

Thanks,

Jeff

Turks & Caicos might fit the bill. No mantas though. Lots of sharks, turtles and eagle rays.

How about dolphins in the Bahamas?

The Dream Team specializes in encounters with Atlantic Spotted Dolphins on the Little Bahama Bank. Our trip featured wonderful swims playing with the friendly dolphins, together with scuba diving on the area reefs. This adventure was a unique experience and I hope this trip report will document and convey some sense of how much fun it was. Part I covers the dolphin encounters and diving. Part II covers details on the R/V Dream Too and some info on air travel.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1443
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1444

Note, they are putting a new larger boat with private cabins into service, check the Dream Team website.

Ralph

RoatanMan:
Book a reoom at the Blue Waters Inn, drive there to Speyside with a rental Jeep, dive with Red Man of Red M Dive in Speyside. August is my time for mantas. RedMan ought to be able to locate them for you. Hire him for the entire week and he'll die trying.

I have read good things about that area. Any particular reason to book at one resort, then drive to another? Or is Red M not a resort?

Any shore diving in Tobago?

grafphoto:
I have read good things about that area. Any particular reason to book at one resort, then drive to another? Or is Red M not a resort?

Any shore diving in Tobago?

No shore diving that I'm aware of.

I've been there always during the Caribbean Hurricane Season and once had the Orinoco River's outflow cover the top 25' with root beer brown waters. It added to the surreal nature of the trip. Did it matter? Not really.

When most divers thought of diving in Tobago (up until 5 years ago) they thought only of the Southern end near where the cruise ships disgorge passengers. This includes the famous Buccoo Reef which appears in every dive/travel book than mmentions the area.

The better diving is out of the North end, a two and a half hour drive through twisting mountainous road- which are good but dark. Drive them at 20 mph and you'll have no problem. The cars drive from the right side for added excitement.

I prefer diving in Speyside. Just over the ridge, the last town on the end is Charlottesville. I prefer the breeze and variety afforded by the Atlantic and Speyside.

In my opinion, the Blue Waters Inn has far and away the best guest rooms. We did buy the breakfast package there.

For the first week, we dove with their dive op, owned and managed by an outside concern. Other than the pier and boats, the dive op was mediocre by any Caribbean standard. The folks up this way are used to dealing with divers who want two tanks a day, not your common hondo diver. Their cre, altho brilliantly competent were not to be pushed or looked to for dazzling service.

My buddy, who had done only 75 dives at CoCoView looked at me and said, "This isn't right, is it?". At that point, we figured out who the guy next to us was Mark, the Editor of PADI Sport UK, and we staged a mutiny. We politely asked to go to the fabled dive sites like Washing Machine, Heart Attack and African Express... IF the DM thought they were safe on that day. The DM looked at us and disappeared into the dive shop for ten minutes. He went into a room alone. When he came out, he agreed. Doing us a favor.

Their schedule left little or no time for lunch, certainly nothing more than drinking fluids and wolfing snacks at your room- no way to eat there or in town by driving in. Not gonna happen.

After that, we drove the steep hill the 4 min utes to Red Man (RedM) and dove with the old local master. Ratty but reliable boat, big wide open dory, walk thru the surf as they'll carry your gear, be ready to cruise a long while and be ready to jump in when this strong affable black man and his son Leon cry out, "Mantas". He will take you diving as much as you want, night dives every night, and his wife will cook you lunch every day including Hot Roti.

RedM is right next to the Manta Lodge. I would not stay there as it's just too noisy and compact- a great place to 'take over by a 15 person dive group- a green wooden moray decorates the bar rail and a nice little pool. The lovely Speyside Inn is right next door (but much quieter) and then comes RedMans dive op and then his wife's restaurant. More restaurants down the way.

I have been told that Peter Hughes has a boat there. You'll probably get a few more dives in, a lot more variety, and see a lot more u/w architecture- but you'll miss knowing this island and its wonderful people.

The waters of Tobago are where you go to get schooled in currents, surface recoveries, etc. It is an excellent stepping stone for Galapagos, but after diving Tobago's African Express, she looked at me and asked, "Was I supposed to be scared?" Hell, Mark and I were, does that give you any indication?

Go look at this:

http://www.turq.com/trips/trinidad5.html

Hope that helps!

grafphoto:
Thanks for the info. Nice to hear a positive experience - though Undercurrents chapbook doesn't have a lot of good reports on Tabago.

Blundercurrent? (You must know I'm the OTHER "Doc")

I don't hear a lot of positive experiences, or for that matter- anything good- coming out of that rag.

They print unqualified (read inexperienced) trip reports from anyone even though they have good reason to know they aren't the truth. It is used to fill space and create another author/salesman for the over priced rag. The bad incusions are defended under the guise of "we print whatever we get submitted".

Undercurrent is more useless than a lifetime subscription to SkinDiver Magazine.

Just my opinion.

Tobago?

Tobago is NOT for everyone. If your life experience is so far: Cayman, Club Med, Cozumel... well, you might be frightened or disappointed. It is not a catered operation, it is not a fun dip in a swimming pool of pretty fish- it is lateral currents, some vertical, small boat dory diving, walking thru the surf to the boat, wooden ladder recoveries after handing up your gear, no fresh water rinse tanks on board, the diving is a long drive from the airport, and on and on.

Maybe that's why I keep going back year after year.

For a diver seriously interested in building their skills to prepare for a trip to the Galapagos- this is the Caribbean stepping stone.

You should not just arrive for your education. You should rig your safety sausage with 25' of light line, leqarn to deploy it from 25' and learn to hand there for your safety stop and await pickup. You should learn surface rescue techniques, signalling as well as survival techniques, ditching equipment and more.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could. Why not gear up to be a better diver and learn the process?

When you're there, listen well to the DM. Be sure to ASK QUESTIONS. Follow your DM and pay attention.

This is "pay attention" kind of diving.

It's just a gas. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom