Plastic backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not recomend a plastic one, I have only seen problems with them. The AL ones are still great for travel and they will last a life time. My travel rig is a Hollis AL Plate, I love it. That is the way to go, we have them if you want I can send you one.

I used a blow-molded plastic [-]plate[/-] back pack on a wing for 30+ years with no problem. I switch back whenever I don't need the weight of my stainless Freedom Plate. My biggest criticism is it is a bit of a kludge to put more than one cam band on it.

Last edited:
The industry standard for a couple decades at least until the proliferation of jacket bc's,it should work well enough with modern wings provided the camband lines up well.

Many shops will give those away for free. I would get an OxyCheq or similar fabric travel plate for travel with the Mach V or similar 30 pound lift wing.

N

I started out with one of the plastic plates 30+ years ago. It worked fine.

I would look at the Zeagle Express Tech, a fabric plate with a wing. Not only is it very light, but packs up much tighter than a rigid plate and the price is less (at least on sale) than an AL BP/Wing/Harness combo.

same here. i used a plastic backplate on seaquest backmount bc starting in 84. No problems what so ever.

I have a Dive-rite plastic backplate setup for my doubles wing because I don't need the extra weight. It's been working great for years!

I would look at the Zeagle Express Tech, a fabric plate with a wing. Not only is it very light, but packs up much tighter than a rigid plate and the price is less (at least on sale) than an AL BP/Wing/Harness combo.

I have an Express Tech that I like very much, but make no mistake--it is not the same thing as a BP/W. For one thing, it is not as configurable as a BP/W. I have been considering moving up to a BP/W and was curious about plastic backplates, hence my interest in this thread. My concern is weight. As it is, even with the very lightweight Express Tech, my airline baggage is near the weight limit. I don't want to pay extra weight fees just to get the benefit of a BP/W. Maybe we'll see Kevlar backplates!

Shftrdog: You said you have seen problems with plastic backplates but you didn't specify. What kind of problems?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom