Plaza (Toucan) dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are taking our first Bonaire trip in June. We're staying at DiverVince's condo Vinibu. It's pretty clear that just about everyone thinks highly of Buddy Dive. I'm curious to hear from people that have dived with Plaza Resort/Toucan Diving. Along with shore diving we'll probably make a few boat dives, hopefully to Klein or at least some other not easily shore accessible sites.

So from anybody that has ever used Toucan what are your thoughts on them? I won't be staying there so the distance from the dive shop to the beach entry wouldn't be an issue for us. It would either be drive up, grab tanks and head to another shore site, or take a boat dive with them. We'll be diving Nitrox if that makes any difference.

Here's a couple of options - neither is better than the other.

Plaza's diving is setup around their gear area and dock. So it's really convenient to drive there, park in the lot and walk to the dive area/boatdock. They fill tanks outside the building where Plaza guests store their gear. The Nitrox Analyzer was on the wall inside the storage/locker area IIRC - my buddy used it a couple of times. I can't remember where they store the tanks as we always got them from the fill operator after boat diving. No idea what hours they restrict access to that area either.

We bought a boat package with Toucan. It's less convenient to get tanks there for shore diving elsewhere as you have to park a short distance away and carry them back to the truck. One thing you can do is skip parking in the diveshop lot and drive farther towards the corner of the building - it's a shorter walk. I'd guess we're talking about 50-75' max. Just drive to the corner of the south lot closest to the building - you'll figure it out the 2nd time you park there.

I really liked Plaza's boat operations. They have smaller boats and don't overload them. Often it was just 8-9 of us (during DiveFest week) One afternoon we paid $18 to go to Klein with just a dutch couple and the DM and Captain. The trip was listed on the signup board and needed 2 more to go. Probably one of the best boat dives all week, we went to Forest off Klein and did our own thing while the DM floated along nearby.

Of course Vinibu being in Belnem means you'll have to drive around the lagoon every time to the Plaza.

I'm not sure how it works for non-guests but Buddy Dive has a satellite facility at BelMar condos just up the street. That would be really handy as tank pickup is street side. The Nitrox Analyzer was inside the public area of the store though and afaik, only guests at BelMar had access to it after 5pm - our door key opened that area also.

Also I believe you can use the drive-thru tank pickup at Buddy's when diving in the north. IIRC correctly Buddy's also has bigger diveboats that looked more crowded - we were there once when one came back in. Unless they stage a smaller one at BelMar now - that might be good. Otherwise it's a 15min. drive to Buddy to board a boat.

If I was doing more shorediving, I'd try the Buddy's option at BelMar. If not, Toucan is the next closest place to get tanks IIRC. We looked at renting a house in Belnem a couple years ago, they had arrangements with one of the other operators to deliver tanks to the house - it might've been Wannadive but I'm not sure - or if they do for everyone or just our landlord.

We stayed at the Plaza and dove with Toucan twice in the past 3 years and are returning next month (yea!). Absolutely love their operation. Great dm's. They really know how to find cool stuff. The only time I had to drag tanks a little distance to my truck is if there was another truck in the way. Otherwise just back your truck up the ramp next to the lockers and toss your stuff in back. We didn't dive nitrox so can't comment there, but the tanks/analyzer were right there as well.

I used them once and found them to be ok. If I were staying in Belnam I would consider using Buddy's at Belmar or Wannadive. If you are planning on doing a lot of boat dives, then Toucan is probably the closest to you. The only thing that I didn't like was the docks got crowded when several boats were getting ready to go; but it wasn't hideous.

I used them once and found them to be ok. If I were staying in Belnam I would consider using Buddy's at Belmar or Wannadive. If you are planning on doing a lot of boat dives, then Toucan is probably the closest to you. The only thing that I didn't like was the docks got crowded when several boats were getting ready to go; but it wasn't hideous.

We do plan on doing some boat dives since my warm water vacation only diving wife is not completely sold yet on doing all shore dives.

Rex..Since this is your first trip to Bonaire, I'm a proponent of doing both. However I do think most folks on this board who have made several trips to Bonaire would agree that it's better to do boat diving a la cart as opposed to purchasing a package. This way you have the freedom and flexibility to chose & decide and are not "locked in" to a pre purchased number.

Folks frequently get swayed by a small savings in pre purchased dives, but in the real world things happen. Sometimes you don't feel like a boat dive everyday because of a clearing problem, an injury, or scheduling issue or an array of different things which can pop up on vacation. Also, there is the cost factor to consider. Boat diving is A LOT more expensive than diving from shore.

Okay have never used them per se but what about dive friends? they have a location south and do boat dives. met someone who was staying at holiday homes(south) which they stayed at many times and always used dive friends and spoke highly of them. I have done some diving with wannadive, they are great but boat dives would be north of town. anyway just to confuse things would check out dive friends too. maybe they would be great?!?!?

Rex..Since this is your first trip to Bonaire, I'm a proponent of doing both. However I do think most folks on this board who have made several trips to Bonaire would agree that it's better to do boat diving a la cart as opposed to purchasing a package. This way you have the freedom and flexibility to chose & decide and are not "locked in" to a pre purchased number.

Folks frequently get swayed by a small savings in pre purchased dives, but in the real world things happen. Sometimes you don't feel like a boat dive everyday because of a clearing problem, an injury, or scheduling issue or an array of different things which can pop up on vacation. Also, there is the cost factor to consider. Boat diving is A LOT more expensive than diving from shore.

Vince, thanks for the thoughts. Whichever dive op we select I would not book any more than the 6 boat package. First for the reason you state, flexibility, plus I also want to look into a day of east coast diving and maybe Buddy Dive’s 3 tank Washington Slagbaai Park Safari. That would still give us lots of flexibility for shore dives in the afternoon and evening/night. I totally get the advantage of shore diving freedom; go where you want when you want, and at a low cost. While it’s true as you state that shore diving at Bonaire is a lot less expensive than boats, around $140 for 6 days versus a 6 day/12 boat package of $360 (plus 5% tax), any type of diving on Bonaire is relatively less costly than many other places. By way of comparison my preferred op on Cozumel, Blue XT Sea, charges $435 (plus 10% tax) for 12 boat dives. I could easily see doing 18-20 dives at Bonaire for considerably less, no matter what package of dives you pick.
Choosing how you dive on Bonaire seems to be one one of those good type decisions, all the options are good - quality dive ops, relatively low prices, easy diving, clear warm water and lots of fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom