Please advise on Philippine locations that meet these criteria:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As wrecks don’t interest you, don’t bother with Coron. The visibility is mediocre on the reefs and you can find MUCH better elsewhere in the Ps. Too bad that wrecks don’t interest you because the 6 main wrecks (best reached from Sangat Island Dive Resort) are SUPERLATIVE and any metal-head who has the opportunity should make the effort to spend 3-4 days there to dive them all.

True! Leyte and Subic also have historically significant wrecks which are worth seeing, even if not penetrating, especially if you're into History. Subic has some older wrecks as well as some WWII.

Edit: Leyte has two diveable wrecks that are apparently almost completely unrecognizable any more, and the WWII wrecks from the Battle of Leyte Gulf are well out of Rec range:(

Last edited:
True! Leyte and Subic also have historically significant wrecks which are worth seeing, even if not penetrating, especially if you're into History. Subic has some older wrecks, and Leyte has WWII wrecks, pretty cool stuff.
I didn't know that there were divable wrecks from the war at Leyte- now I will need to go BACK!

I didn't know that there were divable wrecks from the war at Leyte- now I will need to go BACK!

I must apologize, I should have checked their depths first as I have not been there personally. Apparently they are deep deep, like over 100m :(

Now where did I leave that personal submarine......:confused: LOL

1. If you do not want any disruption(weather) Apr to May is the best time.
2. Tubattaha is highly recommended.If the trip starts or end at Puerto Princesa then you should spend at least one day at the Underground River(World Heritage Site).
3. Not all places have Immigration Office to extend your visa so you need to plan ahead.
4. Manila to Tacloban for Southern Leyte(diving). Ferry to Cebu City and then public bus and boat to Malapascua(diving). Back to Cebu City for either Bohol(Alona Beach, diving)) or Moalboal(diving and trip to Oslob for the whaleshark). Dumaguete(you can visit Apo Island and Siquijor as well) is your next logical choice. Finally, Sipalay(diving) and thenreturn to Manila via Bacolod. Both Anilao and Puerto Galera are only few hrs away from Manila.
5. You can fly to Camiguin from Cebu City if you need a break from diving. Diving is also available there but not that great.

Have a great one.

1. If you do not want any disruption(weather) Apr to May is the best time.
2. Tubattaha is highly recommended.If the trip starts or end at Puerto Princesa then you should spend at least one day at the Underground River(World Heritage Site).
3. Not all places have Immigration Office to extend your visa so you need to plan ahead.
4. Manila to Tacloban for Southern Leyte(diving). Ferry to Cebu City and then public bus and boat to Malapascua(diving). Back to Cebu City for either Bohol(Alona Beach, diving)) or Moalboal(diving and trip to Oslob for the whaleshark). Dumaguete(you can visit Apo Island and Siquijor as well) is your next logical choice. Finally, Sipalay(diving) and thenreturn to Manila via Bacolod. Both Anilao and Puerto Galera are only few hrs away from Manila.
5. You can fly to Camiguin from Cebu City if you need a break from diving. Diving is also available there but not that great.

Have a great one.

Thanks for the specific suggestions and also the points about weather and immigration offices. In the process of reading
up on places brought up in this thread.

So please take this information with a grain of salt, since my first trip to the Philippines isn't until February '19, but I was also researching live a boards on a budget, and ended up signing up for this:
Dive Safari Philippines - Savedra Dive Center
Cost was much less than a traditional live aboard, though you may be able to do all of these sites from a local approach since you have a lot more time than I do. I'm combining this dive safari with a few days in Moalboal and a short week in Malapascua to round out a 2+ week trip, though I could have easily stretched diving around Cebu to over a month with all the options available. Hope this helps.

if you are coming between march and June then think hard about taking a liveaboard to Tubbataha Reef. It is out of this world. You have plenty of options if you are coming over for 2 months, plenty of cheap flights and ferries to get around the main islands. Do come and check out Mindoro, there are some quiet small bays that don't feel that touristy around Puerto galera. You can also explore Apo reef which is like a mini version of Tubbataha.
Cebu has plenty of action with Malapascua, Moalboal etc. A new place that has become popular is Romblon I have lived in the Philippines for the past 6 years and love it here. Enjoy your trip.

Peter's Resort S. Leyte. Good diving away from the hoards. Easy direct ferry from Cebu. Whale sharks in season. Great jetty night dive for small stuff.
Malapasqua, no cars on the island, Thresher sharks in the early morning and good diving.

Tubbataha is the best diving in Philippines in my opinion. Seadoors liveaboard, well priced.

Peter's Resort S. Leyte. Good diving away from the hoards. Easy direct ferry from Cebu. Whale sharks in season. Great jetty night dive for small stuff.
Malapasqua, no cars on the island, Thresher sharks in the early morning and good diving.

Tubbataha is the best diving in Philippines in my opinion. Seadoors liveaboard, well priced.

All Star Liveaboards now offers a Tubbataha itinerary starting from $2,080 for our economy cabins and $2,580 for our deluxe cabins. Includes ground transfers and free nitrox. Availability starting from March 13 with our last trip for the Tubbataha season departing June 13.

From November-February we will be departing from Anilao on a Mindoro Strait itinerary to Apo Reef, Puerto Galera, Verde and return to Anilao.

www.allstarliveaboards.com/philippines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom