Please advise regarding Regulator Setups

How many regulator setups do you currently own?

Votes: 19 24.4%

Votes: 8 10.3%

Votes: 11 14.1%

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Too many to count

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for responding in advance, but I’m wondering how many regulator setups most posters own. Do you have separate setups that you use locally, traveling, doubles, tec, etc? Or run with one setup to do it all? My situation is that I have recently got back into Scuba Diving after a long lapse and have one Poseidon Xstream Deep set up that I’ve been using this winter. But a local Diver has a Scubapro Mk25 Evo first setup with G260 second that Is new, never used or warranty registered from a LDS for half of retail more or less. His selling point is that when I travel to different parts of the world Scubapro is going to be easier to get service if needed. And that I don’t necessarily need the Poseidon setup for warm water recreational diving. Thanks again.

I'd buy this SP regulator setup if it were that much less expensive. Nothing wrong with owning two regulators.

I bought in 2010 my first setup used and refurbished in e-bay. An old Dacor Pacer 900. Still in use. It has 3 LP ports which makes it unuseable for drysuit, so I've got a cheap Dacor 900 first in e-bay with 4 LP ports just to replace the turret. With time I built a second set with that Dacor 900. Still in use.
Two years ago I' ve got a good deal with a second hand Scubapro MK25 + A700 + R095. This is my primary reg set.

Thanks for responding in advance, but I’m wondering how many regulator setups most posters own. Do you have separate setups that you use locally, traveling, doubles, tec, etc? Or run with one setup to do it all? My situation is that I have recently got back into Scuba Diving after a long lapse and have one Poseidon Xstream Deep set up that I’ve been using this winter. But a local Diver has a Scubapro Mk25 Evo first setup with G260 second that Is new, never used or warranty registered from a LDS for half of retail more or less. His selling point is that when I travel to different parts of the world Scubapro is going to be easier to get service if needed. And that I don’t necessarily need the Poseidon setup for warm water recreational diving. Thanks again.

Having multiple setups can be nice. What can be a little bit annoying is owning several regs of multiple brands, especially when it comes to servicing or getting parts. I eventually went to one brand for ease of service and standardization. The statments above have good points about servicing your gear abroad. I used to live in Cayman and getting a reg serviced (we didn't have an onsite tech at the time) took weeks, therefore, we never serviced our regs; our personal ones that is. Regardless of how many regs you own or what brand they are, keep them maintained and serviced. Don't wait to have the reg(s) checked or serviced on the week of departure for your trip. Have it done well ahead of time and then hop in the pool to ensure it all checks out before departing.

I have no advice for whether or not you should buy the Mk25/G260. Only you can determine that. Nevertheless, owning an additional good regulator is nice to have.

Good luck.

Having multiple setups can be nice. What can be a little bit annoying is owning several regs of multiple brands, especially when it comes to servicing or getting parts. I eventually went to one brand for ease of service and standardization. The statments above have good points about servicing your gear abroad. I used to live in Cayman and getting a reg serviced (we didn't have an onsite tech at the time) took weeks, therefore, we never serviced our regs; our personal ones that is. Regardless of how many regs you own or what brand they are, keep them maintained and serviced. Don't wait to have the reg(s) checked or serviced on the week of departure for your trip. Have it done well ahead of time and then hop in the pool to ensure it all checks out before departing.

I have no advice for whether or not you should buy the Mk25/G260. Only you can determine that. Nevertheless, owning an additional good regulator is nice to have.

Good luck.
Still mulling it over the deal, but I'm pretty impressed with the poll numbers of people who have more than one regulator. Maybe I'm out to lunch but IF i was to do this deal. I'm wondering if I should just try to make a deal on the first stage and work an Air 2 for second. I have a Subgear Levo travel BC that would make a pretty light load to travel with and have a backup for the Xstream.

I have two newer Sherwood Blizzard firsts that are my go to regs, the rest are vintage or very close. Except for a couple of the vintage sets, I mix seconds seeming at random, with a fondness for old metal regs.

A Poseidon Cyklon I'm getting fond of, and have been substituting as a go to reg. You could do worse than pick another Posiedon to go with the one you have.

The only reason I have a lot of regs is that I fix them myself and haven't sold any. Like I tell my wife, at least it's not cats, that would be a problem.

Bob

That Xstream is a serious problem! You should just send it to me, and for a nominal fee, I will bring it into my humane Poseidon rehab program.. hahaha. Just kidding. I just got my first Xstream set and can’t wait to get it in the water. :)

I have too many sets to count, but I have dedicated sets for BM doubles, sidemount, single tank, a few stage/deco. And a few single tank loaners.

Yes, I do have a bit of a gear problem.

I have 2 full Apeks kits, a DS4 w/2 x ATX40 and a DST w/2 x TX50. I usually dive the DST/TX50 kit and the DS4 and an ATX40 are mounted on a 40CF.

I use the same regs home and traveling. I generally carry spare hoses, but beyond that I can't see that I would get my regs serviced on a trip. I would rent if need be and get known good service at home.

Yes, I do have a bit of a gear problem.

You would have a gear problem if you didn't have enough regs, a few extras is a blessing.

Bob

I currently own 6 regulators, if this is what you mean.

1 is the regulator I used for teaching (until recently) and also use on vacation.

3-4 of them are necessary for my normal local diving depending upon configuration.

1 is a regulator from 1974 that I inherited from my uncle. In the 1980's I dived with it a lot but I don't use it any more because the 2nd stage diaphragm is so big that you have to take it out of your mouth to see where you are going... :D

... ok the real reason is because it is an unbalanced piston with only 2LP and 1HP port....

I sold all of my other regulators earlier this year because I wasn't using them.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom