Please advise regarding Regulator Setups

How many regulator setups do you currently own?

Votes: 19 24.4%

Votes: 8 10.3%

Votes: 11 14.1%

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Too many to count

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still mulling it over the deal, but I'm pretty impressed with the poll numbers of people who have more than one regulator. Maybe I'm out to lunch but IF i was to do this deal. I'm wondering if I should just try to make a deal on the first stage and work an Air 2 for second. I have a Subgear Levo travel BC that would make a pretty light load to travel with and have a backup for the Xstream.

Should you chose to get an Air2 be sure to practice, regularly, with it. When I worked in the islands I used to challenge people who owned one to practice an out of air drill after the safety stop was completed. Every buddy team failed because they lost control of their buoyancy simply because they never practiced with the reg in their mouth. I do know three couples who are really good with it only because the practice with it on a regular bases. Don't get it if you are not willing to put the time in to practice with it.

Still mulling it over the deal, but I'm pretty impressed with the poll numbers of people who have more than one regulator. Maybe I'm out to lunch but IF i was to do this deal. I'm wondering if I should just try to make a deal on the first stage and work an Air 2 for second. I have a Subgear Levo travel BC that would make a pretty light load to travel with and have a backup for the Xstream.
If you decide you want to go that route, I have an Air2 that came on a second hand BC I picked up that I need to get rid of. PM me if interested.

Some Scubapro single hose stuff 40yrs old, I use every day
for Rec Tec Wreck and Dreck with a 50% pony down to 42m

sharing company with the actual reg I used on my first course

full.jpg

SP stuff was rebuilt two years ago with new orings from the oring shop and
latest second hand poppets from a service guy that services unnecessarily.
I keep all second hand servicable orings in case I run out of new ones or something
At least a hundred dives with this gear well and truly drying out by the time the boat
gets back to the marina, and then in the car with the gear being washed the next day

I have changed a high pressure seat oring and regreased the spg swivel
brushed some vinegar on the din wheels three times to clean the threads

I soak the regs pressurised in hot water for 20-30 mins or an hour and a half
depending on when I remember to fish them out having purged in the water
many times blasting myself in the face splashing water all over the laundry

I give them a bit of a blow off with compressed air

Dust caps hey, yeah right, as soon as my regs come off the tanks on the boat
they go in a mesh bag, bouncing and splashing around the place NO dust cap!!!

Perhaps a ritual but the day before dive day I charge my regs turn off the valve
and leave them for at least an hour. Mostly I get no movement of the needle
If I do it is out the second stage where the reg needs a purge or a knob twist
If the needle moves 5mm over 1hr does it matter, if it's coming out the mouthpiece
does it matter, that's where it's supposed to go

with NO dust cap the reg has been able to dry, and not condense with moisture trapped inside
They live on a table in a garage
Dust caps screw on after the test only to protect the orings as gear assembly is done
on a boat in the morning in the dark, anyway I want them in there when I'm assembling

There are a few specs of verdigris around the place inside allen holes
of port plugs, on the ends of the hose threads inside the first stage
Zero verdigris on or in the sintered filters
There is also some crud around the second stage inlet threads

Changed hose oring to second stage once or twice
Oh yeah, I regreased the seconds knobs.

I only check IP during service 10 or 20 either way, does it matter?
shims shmims
When the hissing stops the second stage is tuned
cracking pressure mgs in 1 inch of water or whatever it is, does it matter?

I blend mid 30s nitrox mixes

Krytox grease on the inside, liberal silicone on threads outboard of static orings

I love my gear

Been constructing this updated replacement gear to dive
Rec Tec Wreck and Dreck, with a 50% pony down to 42m.

full.jpg

with a BFK

So I've got five regs ISH

really looking forward to double hosing it almost full time again

Should you chose to get an Air2 be sure to practice, regularly, with it.

This! I have Atomic's version on my warm water travel rig. I have actually used it in an OOG situation and it sucks. My buddy and I successfully completed our dive including our safety stop, but logistically it was terrible. I can certainly see where someone could fail to maintain their buoyancy while using it. It seems great for streamlining your reg and for travel, but in actual use it's terrible.

Back to your original question, yes I have multiple regs. I'm too lazy to move hoses around from my doubles rig, so I have a separate reg for single tank travel diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom