Please help me ID this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maractwin:
I'm going to disagree about a corallimorph and say it's an anemone (similar creature, but larger). Corallimorphs generally attach to hard substrate and are often found in colonies. A single individual in a sandy area is more likely an anemone. Knowing the approximate size would help determine this.

-Mark

good point although I'm not sure. It could be a carpet anenome. Your right size would really help us out. Although they are "mini-carpet anems so either way it will be difficult to say.

I'm going to still stick with my assessment of a corallimorph. From an aquariast I read about corallimorphs turning white when they are severely stressed, starving, poisoned or in a reproductive cycle. The texture of the base as well as the crown has me convinced it is a corallimorph of some sort.

maractwin:
I'm going to disagree about a corallimorph and say it's an anemone (similar creature, but larger). Corallimorphs generally attach to hard substrate and are often found in colonies. A single individual in a sandy area is more likely an anemone. Knowing the approximate size would help determine this.

-Mark

The size was about 2.5 to 3 inches wide. It was located in the middle of a sandy area.
Hope this help.

Florent

I also think it's an anemone. The size, shape, and external structure of the opening resembles the orifice of an anemone and not any corallimorphs that I've ever photographed or seen.

Here's a florida corallimorph in comparison:

xvi20410.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom