Please help me stop!

how do you feel about diving styles

• There is only one true way to dive - I practice it.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • There is only one true way to dive - I do not practice it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are many ways to dive, but my style is superior.

Votes: 22 14.5%
  • There are many ways to dive, and my style is not superior.

Votes: 120 78.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting... that there are so many who do have a dive style but don't think it's superior. If you don't believe your personal style is superior, why do you bother having one?
><>

Can anyone tell me how to stop pointing out that there is more than one way to dive?

Why stop? I don't believe this has ever been discussed on ScubaBoard before ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IX&#920;Y&#931;;5222853:
Interesting... that there are so many who do have a dive style but don't think it's superior. If you don't believe your personal style is superior, why do you bother having one?
><>

I think the problem is that as soon as one states their method is superior someone with a different method comes along and makes them look like a chump.

The Dali Lama once said, in response to the question "which religion is the best?": "For me personally Buddhism is best but for everbody else what ever they believe and make progress with is best".

My dive style is the best FOR ME. And it will continue to be only until such time that I learn something new, or discover something that works better. It seems a lot of divers here are such that they are always learning, so the BEST dive style is more like the holy grail than something you can learn in a weekend.

I figure that if you got out of the water under your own power, not bent and didn't tear up anything that you shouldn't. You done it good.

Think I'll start my own dive philosiphy with that. DIG, Done It Good.

There are many ways to skin a cat! It is about having fun and being safe! (Cat lovers, it is just a saying)

Actually, that quote that many of us use really pertains to catfish and not cats. (At least in the south)

Actually, that quote that many of us use really pertains to catfish and not cats. (At least in the south)

I'm not too sure about that BDSC, a friend of mine told me that it had to do with cats of the feline variety. He owned a Chinese restaurant... :wink:

IX&#920;Y&#931;;5222853:
><>

Because it takes the fun out of diving.
Which do you prefer at a safety stop?
a) concentrating on looking cool, staying perfectly horizontal and holding depth to a tolerance of 6"
b) floating around enjoying the freedom while accepting a tolerance of 3'

The first may be technically superior but while I can do it if I really want to I invariably prefer the second.

IX&#920;Y&#931;;5222853:
><>

I think the majority of people answered that way because they realize that different people have different preferences. They're not saying that their style is not perfect for them personally, just that it's not 'the only way to dive' for everyone.

I'm still in the experimental stage of my diving. I want to try out a DIR rig some time so I can make my own choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom