Please Help Newbie Who Wants To Buy A Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

topher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello
I have a Sea life dc1400 and need a strobe. I do mostly still pics and the rare video. I am going to buy the sea dragon strobe. do I need a video light as well? Like this setup: Sea Dragon Duo 2000 with Flash | Sealife Cameras
Can I just get the strobe and mount it on top instead of on a tray?
I appreciate the help as I am just getting into photography.
Thanks

The general rule with strobes is to buy the best and most powerful you can afford and that is normally Inon or Sea n Sea.

This is because strobes live on when cameras are due for replacement. Exception being Ikelite which are great strobes but have some limitations in which camera's they will work with.

However this set up is not one I am familiar with and maybe someone will able to help. The flash is not very powerful but may be fine for what you want to do. If you want to do wide angle I would suggest a more powerful flash.

Hello
I have a Sea life dc1400 and need a strobe. I do mostly still pics and the rare video. I am going to buy the sea dragon strobe. do I need a video light as well? Like this setup: Sea Dragon Duo 2000 with Flash | Sealife Cameras
Can I just get the strobe and mount it on top instead of on a tray?
I appreciate the help as I am just getting into photography.
Thanks

You don't need a video light as well.

How will the flash be triggered? Does your camera have an inbuilt flash? Can the flash be triggered by the camera's flash?

I don't think this flash has TTL, so you would likely need to operate the camera and flash in manual modes!

Normally the idea is to have the flash away from the camera, so that the scatter from the flash on 'grit' in the water is minimised, assuming you can mount on the camera you are likely going to get refection of light on grit.

Maybe consider buying a good strobe, possibly mount on the camera, then get tray and arms... then the new camera :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom