Please help the ignorant! Question on HP Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally own 2 al63s, 2 al80s, 1 al92, 3 lp aa72s, 4 hp aa100s, and 1 hp aa120. I still dive aluminum unless I need the extra capacity afforded by steel, and I highly recommend that you try diving with the tank that you're considering before you buy. Buoyancy, trim, and maintenance characteristics of each vary widely.

As for computers... those based on the NOAA algorithm (eg. Oceanic/Aeris) are generally more liberal than those based on the RGBM (eg. Suunto) or DCIEM (eg. Citizen) algorithms, but evidence suggests that the more conservative algorithms may, in fact, be superior. Again, I highly recommend trying before buying, if possible. Some computers are far more intuitive to operate than others.

Dive safely, and never stop learning!

I own 2 AL 63's 2 AL 80's and 1 Worthington HP X8-130. One of my buddies has a Faber (Blue Steel) 133. The Faber tank shows a buoyancy of +1.7 lbs when empty, while my tank calls for a buoyancy of -2.4 lbs when empty. Both weigh about the same when full (about 55 lbs) and both have about the same negative buoyancy when full. However, and this is only limited to the last 2 1/2 months of diving, my friend has CONSTANTLY had to dive with 14 pounds; he dives with a 5/4/3/ mm wetsuit. On the extreme side, I've dove with my 3mm full suit and a 3mm shortie on top, but only when the water gets to about 70F, and have never had to add more than 6 lbs. When I use my 3 mm full suit, I dive with either no weight, or a most 2 lbs.

Go figure!

Rick

Scubaguy62:
I own 2 AL 63's 2 AL 80's and 1 Worthington HP X8-130. One of my buddies has a Faber (Blue Steel) 133. The Faber tank shows a buoyancy of +1.7 lbs when empty, while my tank calls for a buoyancy of -2.4 lbs when empty. Both weigh about the same when full (about 55 lbs) and both have about the same negative buoyancy when full. However, and this is only limited to the last 2 1/2 months of diving, my friend has CONSTANTLY had to dive with 14 pounds; he dives with a 5/4/3/ mm wetsuit. On the extreme side, I've dove with my 3mm full suit and a 3mm shortie on top, but only when the water gets to about 70F, and have never had to add more than 6 lbs. When I use my 3 mm full suit, I dive with either no weight, or a most 2 lbs.

Go figure!

Rick
Rick,

Not surprised at all. There is, for starters, the 4 lbs difference in buoyancy. I like Faber tanks, but the 133 is not the best for weighting. Your Worthington is far nicer.

Given human differences and that some people dive heavier than others, that would be a very normal range.

There can be several lbs difference in vests.. and even more with BP/W's.

Scubaguy62:

Go figure!

Rick

Thanks - this is exactly the type of info that I was looking for!
I know the general bennies of steel vs al but the anomalies and mfg specific info I haven't a clue - so I was looking for observations from the community. Divers Direct has Faber on sale pretty cheap (I almost dropped in to buy one last week) but I would rather pay the xtra and get the negative buoyancy. I was still considering picking one up so thanks for the save. I appreciate the helpful post.

If you are ever NDL limited by your dives, get the computer. All of my profiles are so multi-level that the computer usually gives me about twice the time as what's on the table, sometimes three times. They are quite possibly the greatest, most enjoyable piece of scuba equipment you have ever laid your hands on. Seriously, they are almost holy in that once you use one and see how awesome it is, it's like stepping through the pearly gates, man.

Another thing to consider about tanks: I also dive off my kayak and sometimes wresting the tank and BC into the tank well can be a real pain. Especially when you are tired from paddling and then diving. Add a big old heavy steel to the mix and you may very well not get the damn thing back in the boat!!

thedaddy:
<snip> The question with the dive computer stems from Jenny having issues with her computer being way conservative compared to a group she was diving with. <snip>
Yes, when comparing my mosquito to others it is very conserative. While this is generally considered a bad thing, there is a level of safety and security built in. Regardless of how conserative it its, it is still more liberal than the tables, and adding nitrox makes it even more so.
Go with the computer. You already have tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom