Please help - Wife wants to cancel Sipadan for security reasons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree there's no point going if one of us is worried the whole time. That's sort of the point of this request...to get feedback from those who have been recently and can provide insights to hopefully set her mind at ease. BTW thanks to all who have responded. If it doesn't work I'll probably post again with suggestions for other locations.

I know there are a lot of other places to go, but I'm trying to make this trip while I know I'll be able to stay and dive from the island itself. I'm looking at minimum 4 nights Sipadan and a few extra nights on either Kapalai, Mabul or both.

PS Layang Layang is closed from September 1st so that's not an option.

Seems a shame not to go if the incidents are as rare as they seem to be, there are so many terrible things happening in lots of different countries that if you didn't go because of them you'd never leave your own country. Im not trying to be deliberately complacent but I think it would be a shame to give such a beautiul country a miss.

Slee416,

I stayed in Sipadan in April 2004 and I felt very secured all the time (naval vessels patrolling the area). I travelled with a couple who was a little worried about the security (especially his wife) but on the island she had not witnessed any problems in security and had the time of her life: excellent dives !!!!!!!!

We stayed 10 nigths at Sipadan Dive Centre and did all of our dives on the island . It was the best dives I have had till now.

" Use the Force" and trust your wifes Gut feel"

Come dive down here in Aus land, the great barrier Reef awaits you.

It's hopeless. You can't go.
Just send me your tickets and I'll take good care of 'em.
Rick :wink:

Rick Murchison:
It's hopeless. You can't go.
Just send me your tickets and I'll take good care of 'em.
Rick :wink:

I'll fight you for them! :dazzler1:

I was there last year, no security issues what so ever. Malay army (not police) are all over the island. Malayasia is a great place and one of the safest places I have ever been to, in fact far more than where I live in South London.

She really has nothing to worry about.

declan:
<snip>
She really has nothing to worry about.
That is very often the case.......but try telling that to a woman!

Another point to maybe mention is that all the people posting that it's 'safe' to go are directly contradicting the US State departments warning from the first post. I just checked that warning and it's a current warning as of today July 1. Now I'm not saying that they always get these things right - but wouldn't you just feel terrible to ignore all the warnings and be the unlucky ones. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the politics there IS a lot of terrorist activity happening all over the world these days - and it's not always certain where's next. I agree with a previous poster that it's no reason to simply stay at home and bar the doors - but I also think a reasonable amount of caution is not entirely misplaced. The fact of the matter is that the last kidnappings in the region took place two months ago - in April - very close to Sabah. The navy was there - the army was there - but they still happened.

I dived in Sipadan last november and I felt safe the entire time I was there. There were military ships and helicopters in the area and there were soldiers positioned on the island. These measures weren't in-your-face at all. There certainly wasn't an atmosphere of seige but if you looked, you might notice they were there. It's nice to know but I'm not sure if they're even necessary anymore. They're probably there to calm the fears of tourists like your wife.

Go and have a great time. The beach is beautiful and the diving is fantastic. Bring your own soju and kimchi though. At least one of the resorts has it on the menu but it's expensive. :wink: Sipadan "jo ai yo".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom